c-6 mating to 460

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foul Al

Reaction score
hey there folks, i am in the middle of a 460 swap and i am having trouble getting the trans. to mate to the motor! I'm trying to assy. it out of the truck so i have 1 unit to put in. i have the trans all the way up to the little ******* but cant seem to get the bell to align or the shafts to mate. i already greased the ******* and holes but no luck... anyone have any suggestions or tips on what they did? i don't have a helper so i'm solo till thurs. thanks for your help. Foul...

muddrivermike

Reaction score
Hey did you make sure that the torque convertor is all the way in the trans?And the convertor bolts through the flexplate?If not its not going to let the trans bolt up..

79_bronco

Reaction score
429/460's have their own different bellhousing, compared to say a modified, windsor or FE block.. these differnt 'series' of blocks all use a different bellhousing.. maybe the bellhousing is for a different block?

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Thats what I was getting at . The 351M / 400 / 429 / 460 all use the same bellhousing then theres the 300 6cy / 289 / 302 / 351W / 351 C . Then the FE series 352 / 360 / 390 / 427 / 428 . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
F

Foul Al

Reaction score
Thats what I was getting at . The 351M / 400 / 429 / 460 all use the same bellhousing then theres the 300 6cy / 289 / 302 / 351W / 351 C . Then the FE series 352 / 360 / 390 / 427 / 428 . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
thank you all for your suggestions and quick responses!!! i really needed the help!! turns out mudrivermike hit the nail on the head, i was trying to attatch the torque converter to the flywheel before mounting the trans but i shot myself in the foot and wasted a half a day fighting with it!!! dam my back hurts .... I did use the c-6 that came with the 460 and its all in the truck now!! what a good days work!! and a good feeling too! now my next task to tackle is the shifter position bracket.. turns out that the one on the 460 c-6 is turned downward for the range of gears and i need to have it turned upwards to use the 79 bronco linkage otherwise the kickdown linkage gets in the way of park. gotta give it to the guys at L&L they make good motor mounts and oil pan kits!! anyone need a rear sump pan for the 460 swap? i have an extra one... and the factory oil pump. I'm going to use the 76' front grille assembly on the bronco to give it a little something different since i got a brand new ford grille and inserts in the original baggage with the donor truck!! SCORE! i saw another bronco with that front clip and i like the way it looks. Thanks again for all your help and will be leaning on all of you again in the near future for more support! by the way... can i run 2 1/2'' pipes off the 460 and be o.k. with performance? i just bought a set of L&L chassis headers for the bronco. i would absolutely LOVE to not have to buy 3'' pipes for the whole thing. thanks a bunch again.

rednck7736

rednck7736
Reaction score
Yes 2 1/2 inch pipe will be plenty .THats what I am running on my 77 F150 with the fender well headers.A single chamber flower master hooked to each heater with a turn down.They are 2 1/2 inlet and outlet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23