Bout ready to scrap this thing can anyone help me...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmy12198

Reaction score
ok... so i got a couple problems... i finally got the firing order down and fixed the truck.. now idk what the problem is but ever time i try to start it its sounds like the battery is dead but only turns over if i have it hooked up to another car... now when i get it started it runs for a moment and stalls and then i hear this loud fan noise like maybe its the blower motor or something but as soon as the truck stalls the noise get louder.... and i had the truck started and when i went to shift it into drive and step on the gas all the truck did was just rev up...it didnt move or nothin.. but when i tried to shift back to park it sounded like the gears were grinding...idk what the **** the problem is im thinkin the link came out...or something idk im bout ready to scrap the thing can anyone let me know whats wrong before its too late...

78 blue beast

Reaction score
Not sure about the fan noise but the reving and not going anywere and it sounding like gears are grinding sounds like a transfercase issue. make sure the t-case is in 2 or 4 and not in nuteral.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Could be that you have a battery that is toast as well as a bad alternator which may have been the cause of a dead battery or vice versa. Get the alternator tested and also get the battery tested. As for the fan noise, if it is that loud why can't you locate it. You ought to be able to at least locate the sound. Have someone else help you locate it while you operate the engine.

Good luck,

:)>-

shift1313

Reaction score
maybe there is no fluid in your torque converter. whats the background on the truck? did it sit for a long time? miles/condition?

When you hook it up to another car are you hooking up to your +/- leads or + on the battery and some ground on the truck? You could have a really poor connection between your leads and the battery. pull them off and make sure you clean them well. any corrosion will increase the resistance in the line and make it seem like you dont have enough juice to crank her over.

What year is the truck?

OP
OP
J

jimmy12198

Reaction score
ok as for the loud noise... if you look under the passenger kick panel...and to the left of where the heater core case would be theres this hole im not sure if thats where the blower motor would be or if that was just a hole cause by the fire...but it sounds like its either blowing or spinning and theres a bunch of leaves in there with it... and it causes smoke too...(but not a fire yet) knock on wood... as for the battery and all that other stuff... i kinda wanna say its the alternator... cause thats what it seems like... cause i had bought another battery just because the last one was doing the same thing... and again im left with the same problem.. so i wanna say either my terminal are beat or the alternator is shot...but im almost positive its the alternator... so i wanna go out and buy an ignition a alternator and a starter... just to be safe...but then again i dont have alot of money so im thinkin about selling it for like 700 or selling parts out of it..i mean the bodies in awesome condition...and im really starting to fall for it...but idk.. im debating weather to junk it and get a 95 acura integra...but idk im still loving a six pack in the middle of a puddle where noone can get to me with my girl....lol...you know.. $-)

bronco410w

Reaction score
the starting or the bronco sounding like the batt. is dieing can also be from the timing being off!... make sure that your timing is set right... pull the lil spout pill out befor you check it to make sure your truck isnt advancing while your checking it! but make sure you put it back in after you set the base timing...

when you pull the pill out the truck will drop rpms at idel... when you plug it back in, the comp. will pick it back up!

OP
OP
J

jimmy12198

Reaction score
ok... so heres the deal.. i was reading around a little bit and i had just realized the little button thats by the break pedal is a **** switch for the fuel pump...Ok ... so i was thinking would it be possible for the BrOnC.. to still start if it was jumped by another truck even know the **** switch button is pressed down... i mean as soon as it starts i immediatly give it gas aKa fuel and it revs...but it dies after that...so idk.. i was thinkin maybe if i go push the switch down again so that it pops back up..maybe the truck will start.... but idk.. o yea and quick question does anyone know where i can find the fuse for the blower motor...

Seabronc

Reaction score
No it won't start if the pumps don't get power. From what you say, the noise seems to be the blower fan. The resister control for that fan is on the passenger side. If you run it long with the leaves on top of the resister control, they will catch on fire. That has happened before. Remove the fan and dash cap to access the duct work and clean it out. I had the same issue with mine and caught it just in time, the duct was full of leaf garbage. I had to completely disassemble the duct work and even remove the cowl cover to get it all out.

I didn't notice what year truck you have, but if it is 80 - 86 the cowl cover design lets all kinds of crap in. My solution to that was to replace the cover with one from an 87 Bronco which changes the design of the air intake from slots to small holes.

Good luck,

:)>-

PS

Add your truck vitals to your signature. It helps in getting more specific responses.

Bronco_modifications_002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yardape

Reaction score
I think he said it was an 89, I was confused why you kept saying it might be full of leaves, I was wondering how they would have got in there because the 89 had pin holes in the cowl. But now it makes sense Seabronc, cause yours has the slots. I forgot about them. Haha.

Krafty

Reaction score
Okay, check tranny fluids and all that stuff, get it to a shop or get someone with a diagnostic tool to plug into it when its doing the start stall thing, could be coolant temp sensor, telling its warmer than it is, it fires and revs up, then thinks its warm and leans out the fuel too much. Second with multi meter or even a test light check the connection between the battery post and the connector, there should be a reading of zero or no light. if there is a reading then you will have to take the connecton apart and clean it with a wire brush, and a copper pipe cleaning brush for the inside of the connector. Check both the positive and negative. If you do get it running for a little while, with the multi meter check the battery voltage, with it running a 12 v battery should read 14 or 15 volts. if it reads 13 or under then your alternator is fried.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23