bearing seal - with or without boot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brawnk

Reaction score
Hello.  I have a 1996 Eddie Bauer.

I am planning to replace the front wheel bearings and seal.  I have a few issues I was hoping you all would shed some light on.

When I went to NAPA they had 2 different seals to choose from .  One had a boot and was less expensive and I would have to order.  The other they have in stock and does not have a boot.   They could not tell me the reason for the difference or which one would be better.   Do any of you know?

Another issue is that they only told me I needed the inner and outer bearings and the one seal.  However, in looking through this forum, I found a picture of parts needed and it showed the inner and outer bearings, the seal, plus 3 other parts.   I attached the photo.   Can any of you tell me whether I need to go back and get more parts?

The last issue is that for quite some time I have had a "squeal" coming from my front right hub.  I believe it is a seal making the noise.  Its the kid of sound rubber can make against metal  or  a bit like a wet finger makes when you run it around the rim of a wine glass.    I had a guy check it a couple years ago and he said all the seals look fine.  Any of you have thoughts on this?

parts-you-will-need.jpg

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey brawnk,

Welcome.

I believe what you are looking at in the pic is:  Inner and outer bearing and seal for the brake rotor assembly. The axle to hub seal, the dirt or mud boot and the axle/ hub bearing.

You do not need the axel to hub seal or bearing if you are only replacing the wheel bearings.

One question I have is why are you replacing the bearings?  Often is they are in good shape a cleaning and repack with a new seal is all that is needed.

On the squealing sound... If the "dirt boot" is not installed properly, or is a poor product, ( I have found some manufactured too thick.) it will squeal ( sometimes horribly.) on the hub face.

I had the problem on The Beast and had to trim about 1/16 off the edge of the rubber.

Good Luck 

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23