Battery Issues 1989 B2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjdmad

Reaction score
I think this is where I should post! I have had problems with the battery staying charged. Now the Battery light stays on. We have replaced

Battery--- Had Tested

Altenater-- Had tested

Starter

Ground Wires

Ignition Switch

Key and Tumbler

Battery Terminals

Battery Cables

What are we missing? The lights still on and the battery dies after driving a while.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey JJ,

What are we working on...an 89? Bronco II? what engine?

I don't see the solenoid on your replacement list. Was it replaced? connections checked? Do you have an alternator with an internal or external voltage regulator?

let us know the details of your vehicle, and a good diagnostic plan will follow

FYI Starter, and lock and tumbler will have nothing to do with charging your battery. Did you replace them for another reason?

Does the vehicle start ok with a fully charged battery, or when jumped?

If you can start the vehicle but it dies, because of lack of electrical power, the alternator is not working....OR the wiring to or from the alternator is a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

elieesco

Reaction score
Im having the same problem with my 1989 bronco 2, just put brand new battery (second time this week) and starts fine right away then the next day completely dead will start up with a boost, please help.... could it have anything to do with solenoid

Seabronc

Reaction score
It could be caused by the voltage regulator.  

Get the battery charged, disconnect the charge wire at the alternator, connect the battery with the alternator disconnected,(be careful not to short out the charge lead).  Use a test light between the negative terminal and the terminal lug, (a good home made tester would be a light socket with leads and a bulb of course).  If it lights up you have a system short, if it just barely lights, that is most likely the computer.  If it lights up bright, start pulling fuses until the light goes out, if that works, you have it isolated to a single circuit. I don't recall if you have a fender mount regulator or internal alternator regulator.  If it is a fender mount, make sure it is nit connected when testing for a short in one of the other circuits.

If the circuit test doesn't indicate a draw, it is most likely the voltage regulator.

Good luck,

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom