Battery drains every time I turn it off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hoss

Reaction score
i had the same problem with my 84 bronco if you haven't fixed it yet it will be the voltage regulator i fried a fairly decent cd player and two batteries like that because my alternator was pushing off the chart voltage when it should have only been pushing 14 volts

jstout1976

Reaction score
i haVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 85 NEW BATT NEW VOLTAGE REG ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS I PUT AN AFTERMARKET RADIO AND AN UNDER HOOD LIGHT THAT IS IT I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE IT COULD BE

wrachet

Reaction score
Had this problem in the 84 I had. I got the thing from my brother who had made some modifications putting in a CB radio amongst other things. We finally put a battery cutoff in and used that. The one time the battery cutoff was left on, the coil caught fire...boy that was an interesting month (a lot of people in my family had vehicle fires that month...started with my dad, then my ex-husband, then my sister, and then my husband)...but anyways, we never found the short before we sold the vehicle.

One thing to check is to make sure you don't have any bare wires!

Colleen

fbrown3

Reaction score
I have also seen a starter pull down a battery when the vehicle was not running. this is kind of drawn out but here goes.

get an old buzzer from under a dash of a car, then connect a couple wires on each end. Now connect it between the POS(+) cable and the battery, if it buzzes you have a current draw, pull out your fuses one by one if it stops buzzing then you have found the circuit it is in. this will at least help to narrow down where it is. if you ha

ve pulled all the fuses and it still buzzes then look to the starter and alt by disconnecting them one at a time

hope this will help you

jstout1976

Reaction score
> IF YOU READ MY POST IN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM I FOUND MY SHOR CHECK THE ALTERNATOR FEED WIRE ON THE VOLTAGE REGUALTOR GOING INTO THE MAIN HARNESS I WENT OUT OF MY MIND TRYING TO FIND A SHOR EVERY TIME I WOULD TURN ON THE TRUCK THE VBATTERY WOULD GO DEAD IN 10 TO 20 MINUTES MY WIFE WORKS ATA AFORD DEALER IN PA AND WE TOOK IT TO THE LEAD TECHNICIAN AND HE FOUND THAT THE WIRE HAD GREEN CORRISION AROUND IT AND HE PICKED IT UP AND IRT FELL INTO HIS HAND REC ONNECTED IT AND THE VOLTAGE WHENT FORM 9 VOLTS TO 13.5 VOLTS AND EVERY THING HAS WORKED VERY NICELY EVER SINCE CHECK THAT AND WRITE ME BACK THANKS ELECTRICAL STUFF DROVE ME NUTS WAS OUTSIDE IN PA COLD FOR 2 WEEKS TILL LATE AT NIGHT

Seabronc

Reaction score
> IF YOU READ MY POST IN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM I FOUND MY SHOR CHECK THE ALTERNATOR FEED WIRE ON THE VOLTAGE REGUALTOR GOING INTO THE MAIN HARNESS I WENT OUT OF MY MIND TRYING TO FIND A SHOR EVERY TIME I WOULD TURN ON THE TRUCK THE VBATTERY WOULD GO DEAD IN 10 TO 20 MINUTES MY WIFE WORKS ATA AFORD DEALER IN PA AND WE TOOK IT TO THE LEAD TECHNICIAN AND HE FOUND THAT THE WIRE HAD GREEN CORRISION AROUND IT AND HE PICKED IT UP AND IRT FELL INTO HIS HAND REC ONNECTED IT AND THE VOLTAGE WHENT FORM 9 VOLTS TO 13.5 VOLTS AND EVERY THING HAS WORKED VERY NICELY EVER SINCE CHECK THAT AND WRITE ME BACK THANKS ELECTRICAL STUFF DROVE ME NUTS WAS OUTSIDE IN PA COLD FOR 2 WEEKS TILL LATE AT NIGHT
31953[/snapback]

Drop the caps, that is considered shouting in a forum entry :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> .

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom