battery decisions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yusuebronko2_86

Reaction score
hey guys:

I'm fed up with my battery always leaving a puddle of acid in the box I have it in, as well as the termilals losing contact due to the fact that the posts have been shrunk due to years of service. Should I:

A: just buy a new post-type battery

-or-

B: buy an eye type battery (the kind that ***** into the front)

also, my stock battery tray had been devoured by acid about two years ago, does anyone know where I can find one in the area of 80 miles west of San Antonio? :huh:

BLADE262US

Reaction score
I have been running optima batteries for a long time and have never had any problems with them . They are a sealed gej cell so you dont have to worry about them leaking can mount them upside down if you want . I have been getting them off ebay the yellow top deep cycle dual post top and side for $155 shipped to me . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

brianlr7773

Reaction score
hey guys:
I'm fed up with my battery always leaving a puddle of acid in the box I have it in, as well as the termilals losing contact due to the fact that the posts have been shrunk due to years of service. Should I:

A: just buy a new post-type battery

-or-

B: buy an eye type battery (the kind that ***** into the front)

also, my stock battery tray had been devoured by acid about two years ago, does anyone know where I can find one in the area of 80 miles west of San Antonio? :huh:

22576[/snapback]

I would also highly recomend a sealed optima gel battery.. You can find a red top optima at almost every auto store for around 100 - 120 .

A little more than a conventional battery, but you can shoot it and it will still work, or have your cooling fan brake and a blade go through it (REALLY HAPPENED) out in the middle of no where, still worked and drove it back home and even for a few more days before i was able to change it. Best part is, it cranks out around 950cca and has very very fast recharge rate. I never even worry about my battery anymore, my optima redtop has been in my truck for more than 5 years.

Batterys have come along way, using acid and water is just to dang messy for our classic cars anymore, I don't want acid eating my truck.

:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
First, check your volts at the batt. Overcharging will cause your simptoms. (boiling over, steaming, etc.)

So will a faulty batt. or over filling.

Not sure what over-charging will do to an Optima

I've run the cheapie batt's for 15 yrs. & one faulty batt. did spill over.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Oh, Autozone has "good" cheap batt. trays & all the lock-downs

Also, .. hold your post-clamps closed with plyers & run a hacksaw blade thru the slot a couple times...clean-um up & good to go..!

wrachet

Reaction score
I agree with BullyBob on checking for overcharging! It'll definitely cause some batteries to blow caps and do all sorts of messy things.

You should be able to find a battery box at Advance Auto, Autozone, O'Reilly's...heck they may even have them at Wal-Mart.

As for a new battery...well you'll need one <grin> but I'm not sure what kind. I prefer posts over the ***** in type.

Colleen

OP
OP
Y

yusuebronko2_86

Reaction score
the thing is, as far as overcharging goes, I have an alternator out of an 89 that is almost new, so that isn't the problem, so why is it still leaking and such?

wrachet

Reaction score
the thing is, as far as overcharging goes, I have an alternator out of an 89 that is almost new, so that isn't the problem, so why is it still leaking and such?
22747[/snapback]

The voltage regulator could be bad. On some models, the voltage regulator is inside the alternator.

Could have a faulty ground...

You can only get so much out of a battery...replace the battery and then go from there if you are still having the problem.

Colleen

OP
OP
Y

yusuebronko2_86

Reaction score
wooooooohooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

my first new battery in my entire life (F.Y.I, i've been getting hand-me-down autozone batteries)

my problems are gone, excluding the fact that the old battery ate up the stock tray and half of the tray under-frame, but not to worry, i'm a welder, that kinda thing is a joke! lol!

wrachet

Reaction score
wooooooohooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1my first new battery in my entire life (F.Y.I, i've been getting hand-me-down autozone batteries)

my problems are gone, excluding the fact that the old battery ate up the stock tray and half of the tray under-frame, but not to worry, i'm a welder, that kinda thing is a joke! lol!

23410[/snapback]

It's amazing what a new battery can do for you!!! LOL....now to build a battery box.

Colleen

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat