Available Axles For '87 Bii?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ninjairoc

Reaction score
I have an '87 Bronco II XLT (2.9L V6, 5 Speed Manual tranny). I believe they came with Dana 28's with either 3.43,3.73, or 4.11 gear options. Eventually i'm going to be running 36-38" tires, and I figured i'd upgrade the axles first. What fullfloat axles are available for BII's? Can they be taken from other ford vehicles? I also plan on have locked differentials. Has anyone experienced this setup with the stock tranny and transfer case?

I just started wheeling last year, so i'm trying to learn all the available parts now and need some help, where to get axles and such. Thanx in advance.

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
For all of the best answers on this, you might be best to head over to www.therangerstation.com and read EVERYTHING - their tech page, do exhaustive searches in their forums, THEN ask your questions. it can, and has, been done, it just takes some effort on your part

good luck

OP
OP
N

ninjairoc

Reaction score
Thank you for the direction! I'll definitely read up on everything cause I have the time to do it now before the summer.

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
good luck.... if you think about it, be sure to let us know what you did. Perhaps we can add it to our own tech section

Mud Blood and Tears

Reaction score
My personal opinion, and I am no expert but I do not think that your factory Dana 28 (6 5/8 inch) axles are going to withstand the additional stress placed on them by upgrading your tire size. If you do any sort of off roading I would strongly suggest that you move up to a minimum of a Ford 8.8 inch axle but the tried, tested and true Ford 9 inch would be the best choice.

Since you are increasing your tire size, this ultimately reduces your drive train's gear ratio. For this reason I would recommend looking for a Ford 9 inch with a 4.56:1 gear ratio. This would allow you to keep a punchy low end despite your extra rubber. Looking for off road traction? A Limited Slip differential is certainly a wise choice over that of a full floater.

Just my $0.02.

Mud Blood and Tears

Last edited by a moderator:

Manimal

Reaction score
Go with an 8.8 and a Dana 35 from any newer Ranger or Explorer. 90 B2s also have Dana35s, but retain the 7.5" rear. IMO a 9" is overkill, but if you want to go for it, go for it.