Aod to e4od swap help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

littlejarv21

Reaction score
So I know this is a bronco site but I have an 86 F150 that I have converted to a 94 351 EFI motor I am attempting to put the transmission that came out of that truck the e4od and my 86 F150 as well I'm running into all sorts of problems which I knew I was going to run to one of my big ones shifter linkages neutral safety switch I already have the computer and the 94 crossmember also I was hoping to use my mp 208 Transfer Case but I was unsure if it would work and if the overall length would stay the same if not what do I have to do to make the drive shafts work the truck I pulled it out of was a single cab long box in the truck that it's going into as a single cab long box as well

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
My advice, put in the AOD back in, Then order a EEC for the 351 with a non-communicating transmission. The E4OD is full of issues and I would never install a used one. I've had 2 out of 2 of my E4ODs repaired and I still have to replace both of them.

Never had any issues with my C6 and not my AOD when I owned it.

Now if you are sure in your plan you can bolt the 208 to the E4OD, if it does change the lenght then I would locate a driveline service shop and talk to them about measurments that need to be made so they can modify your existing drive-lines to work.

OP
OP
L

littlejarv21

Reaction score
My advice, put in the AOD back in, Then order a EEC for the 351 with a non-communicating transmission. The E4OD is full of issues and I would never install a used one. I've had 2 out of 2 of my E4ODs repaired and I still have to replace both of them.

Never had any issues with my C6 and not my AOD when I owned it.

Now if you are sure in your plan you can bolt the 208 to the E4OD, if it does change the lenght then I would locate a driveline service shop and talk to them about measurments that need to be made so they can modify your existing drive-lines to work.
So it's a good running strong transmission I got out of a 94 F250 that had 90,000 miles on it the old guy took extremely good care of the truck and she got T-boned offered it up for sale I started it up I've driven the truck before and we did a complete flush on my cooler and on the transmission when I was in the original truck so I know it's in good shape with that being said I actually hate C6 is cuz I don't like three speeds I take this thing on road trips a lot I love my overdrive gear I hate aod because I replace probably 40 of them so far they're easy to replace because there's nothing to them but I think their insides are weak and gutless and can't handle power with that being said I do have access to every part on that 94 F-250 I was hoping those driveshafts would work and I think I have to find an 89 through 91 e4od truck with the right shifter linkage I need and hook that up correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's all I need right now other than possibly drivelines if that F250s don't work and I've already mocked up the transmission and figured out where to put the new crossmember have the holes drilled they're all bolted in and it looks amazing the questions on the transfer case it will bolt up at the exact same bolt pattern the problem is are the shifting linkage is on it I think I might have to make some homemade ones but I think I can make it work also I am pretty sure I'm going to have to get an extended speedometer cable because the e4od is quite a lot more transmission and that's where I kind of am at the moment I have a list of everything I'm looking for and I'm going to try and just feel like my own little kit and hope everything works and I work in a metal machine shop so I could probably make some stuff pretty easy other than that if there's anything I'm missing please let me know cuz I am dead determine to put this e4od in my 86

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
Ain't nobody here gunna stop ya from finishing the E4OD swap. Wanna see photos when your done.

I've seen people custom cut flat (ribbon) steel to make shift linkage.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the e4od needs a vss. You will have to add one somewhere.

I think it is baumanns that makes custom computers for stand alone operation of the e4od. You might want to call them, or at least look through their website to see what all you are going to need to run the e4od.

https://www.becontrols.com/

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
Vss can be in either the rear end or t-case. but correct you will need one for the E4OD.

chrlsful

Reaction score
some use the AOD build guidelines. Many of us mod oem parts for personal use (swap in motors w/more displacement, hotter cams, bigger valves, etc). Others do this w/'shift kits', different valves, bands, etc on auto-transmis. Y not look at what's offered for the AOD at the 'on-line muscle magazines"? I have, but I hate the 'puters ina vehicle...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke