A/C info wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOB MARLIN

Reaction score
1990 5.0

Trying to get the a/c working. 42ish psi on the low. 50 psi at idle on the high. It will go no higher than 80psi or so with the increase in RPM.
Plus the compressor makes a "air escaping" sound. I think I just want to replace the whole A/C system rather than fix an outdated 30 year old system.
Started looking online at parts and the pricing is all over the place. Does someone make a complete replacement kit for the Bronco ?. I haven't seen anything with all the components yet. Is there a preferred brand or one to stay away from ?. I know just enough about A/C to be dangerous. I am not an expert so any input would be appreciated.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't help you with updated parts. I have always used and converted what was there with decent luck.

Was it converted to R134 already?

First of course find your leak. Replacement compressors ****. I usually go to a pick and pull, try to find an oem. Or at least a system with some pressure still in it.
Get a new orifice tube, and drier.
Now flush the system. I use something like lacquer thinner. Good degreaser and dries fast and clean so no residue. Pour it in the hose, push it through with low pressure using a **** gun. The other end will bring out all kinds of nasty oil and dye.
**** through until dry.

Re assemble, pull vacuum. add oil, Charge.

Now important part in conversions. The cycling/low pressure cutout switch is adjustable. Unplug the connector to expose the adjustment *****. Turn counter clockwise half a turn.
It lowers the pressures in the system. Helps it work better and everything last longer.
If you have a set of gauges you want the lower pressure cutout set at about 10psi.

R134 is denser, is probably the best way to describe it. It will not leak in places where R12 would leak. So replacing everything is not really required.

there are more efficient condensers that can help with cooling, but I have never needed to change them. Not sure if there are better evaporators.

As many times as I have tried to make an AC system perfect and trouble free over the years, no matter how much money I dumped into them, it seems there is no perfect solution so I don't spend anymore money than I have to.

And for those people who use the charge cans, go buy a set of harbor freight gauges and get a 30lb cylinder of R134. You can get the R134 from truck parts places usually for $80.

OP
OP
B

BOB MARLIN

Reaction score
It hasn't been converted. I did have to go down and get the "conversion" kit and install it just so I could connect my gage set to it to read the pressures.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke