90 AOD limp mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

DWilliamA

Reaction score

found this banks install instructions... my banks has 4 wires, 5 counting ground wire ... the instructions show only 3 plus a ground.. and my banks was spliced into the main wires... the banks instructions show taking the 3 wires out of the harness.. why can't anything be easy.

btw.. the mouse keyboard lag on this website is really bad.

OP
OP
D

DWilliamA

Reaction score
I can not find a wiring schematic that matches what my wires actually are ... , i.e., I can not identify my harness.

I have a replacement 12 pin plug on order off ebay, but have no way to confirm I am connecting it right, let alone how to connect the Banks TCM200

Attachments

• 90 e40d 5.jpg
    90 e40d 5.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 5

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Might check farther down that plug/harness and see if it has been spliced before, that would make sense as to why the colors are not what you are expecting.

The banks unit could be causing your problems. I would eliminate it for now. They were kind of a gimmic anyway. Without increasing engine HP a bunch the banks unit really isn't going to help you at all.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking around at your links and online. Doesn't even look like the replacement plugs have the correct wires in them.

I do have a banks trans command laying on the shelf in my garage. Never used it, but it is not like in the link you posted. It comes with a pre made harness. You plug the factory transmission plug into the banks harness, then the banks harness into the transmission.

That is why I think you should follow it back farther.

Plan on bypassing the banks unit until you get the bugs worked out. Then you can add it back later if you think you need it. But for now you need to eliminate it as the source of the problem.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I would follow the harness back to connector C103. Check your wire colors there.

Looks like the factory harness has O@ sensors, MLPS switch, and transfercase connectors all in it.
cXeayvn.jpg

L\Bronco

Reaction score
ok ... Banks is aftermarket ...btw.. it was the wires to the Banks that burnt up.... that mean I don't have to have it and can just use a regular harness and omit the Banks??? if I want it... I need to replicate the way they spliced the banks into the main harness... 2 of the wires are spliced into wires that continue to the harness plug... 2 of the wires from main harness go directly to the banks and by pass the harness plug.. seems logical at some level.. don't have a schematic for that .. I copy my harness easy enough.

my wire harness actually looks good asuming my splice work is good.... the main plug at the tranny seems casual. its pretty easy to get off and on.. .I suspect my solenoid plug is buggered up.
Lots of info to follow here.
Did you grab the harness from the wrecker that appeared the same? (less the Banks wiring) If so, my suggestion is to install it as is, effectively removing the Banks controller.
That should put you back to original. Then see if your codes are gone. The add on shift improver is not required, in the early days of electronic shift controls, they introduced hydraulic accumulators and pressure modulation to soften shifts for a better feel. They did it so well many of the old transmission gurus felt that they were slipping. Hence the aftermarket add-ons. It should work just fine without it. In fact I suspect the Banks module might be the cause of the harness issue in the first place. (It appears from the diagrams that one of the red wires runs to the Banks module, then back to the trans, this could cut power to the solenoid body intermittently causing your codes.)

Another question that begs to be asked is, how is the fluid? Red and nice? Brownish and OK? Or Black and smells like money? That will help indicate general trans condition.
Hope that helps a bit
Cheers

OP
OP
D

DWilliamA

Reaction score
Looking around at your links and online. Doesn't even look like the replacement plugs have the correct wires in them.

I do have a banks trans command laying on the shelf in my garage. Never used it, but it is not like in the link you posted. It comes with a pre made harness. You plug the factory transmission plug into the banks harness, then the banks harness into the transmission.

That is why I think you should follow it back farther.

Plan on bypassing the banks unit until you get the bugs worked out. Then you can add it back later if you think you need it. But for now you need to eliminate it as the source of the problem.

OP
OP
D

DWilliamA

Reaction score
I Have the wire harness out and all the wrapping stripped off... there are no other splices, or damage. I think I found a harness at a wrecking yard. I have a call in with Banks see where that gets me. my fluid is nice and red. it may very well be the banks that is fried... it was one of the banks wires that go burnt. stay tuned.
I would follow the harness back to connector C103. Check your wire colors there.

Looks like the factory harness has O@ sensors, MLPS switch, and transfercase connectors all in it.
View attachment 31161

OP
OP
D

DWilliamA

Reaction score

View attachment 31161

some of these ford part numbers are 1995 ... F5LB-14A524-A... and F5TB, etc... my engine was rebuilt years ago before I bought it... bet they replaced the tranny too .

L\Bronco

Reaction score
some of these ford part numbers are 1995 ... F5LB-14A524-A... and F5TB, etc... my engine was rebuilt years ago before I bought it... bet they replaced the tranny too .
I noticed that as well, I have been looking around and understand your frustration. There are many versions listed, I looked at the 1990 OEM diagram and the wire colors don't match Tiha's diagram there either. Do you have 2 reds in your factory bulkhead connector, (The trans plug)? PIN 1 and 12

L\Bronco

Reaction score
This is what I found through ford, No plug picts, but the colors and pin numbers should be correct.
Hope that helps
trans harness.png

Motech

Reaction score
regarding keeping the Banks or not... I have 33x15 tires on my truck... they definitely make the truck feel like its driving heavy wheel tire wise ... Banks good or bad in this regard...

Good. That's precisely what it's designed to improve.

But your unit is obsolete, and possibly the cause if your burnt curcuits. If you want a piggyback shift commander, you'll need to upgrade.

OP
OP
D

DWilliamA

Reaction score
I noticed that as well, I have been looking around and understand your frustration. There are many versions listed, I looked at the 1990 OEM diagram and the wire colors don't match Tiha's diagram there either. Do you have 2 reds in your factory bulkhead connector, (The trans plug)? PIN 1 and 12
No just 1 red

OP
OP
D

DWilliamA

Reaction score
Good. That's precisely what it's designed to improve.

But your unit is obsolete, and possibly the cause if your burnt curcuits. If you want a piggyback shift commander, you'll need to upgrade.
Called Banks... with TCM200 and truck make model their tech department had no clue what I had.. no instruction manual... nothing.. not impressed.

OP
OP
D

DWilliamA

Reaction score
NEWS FLASH

my range (TR) sensor plug matches 1993 Econoline 4.9 E350 with E40D tranny, wire colors match

now I need the rest of schematic.. even the plug has a part number of F3dT - xxxxx - x

except later model harnesses look like they have a big 16 pin square plug... I don't have that.

my original wire harness did not have splices on all the wires.. only the wires to the banks controller... I had to splice them all when I replaced the plug

Attachments

• 93 E350 4.9 range sensor plug.gif
    93 E350 4.9 range sensor plug.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 5
  • my range plug match.jpg
    my range plug match.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230327_155627.jpg
    20230327_155627.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230327_155652.jpg
    20230327_155652.jpg