89 Bronco auto hubs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncoj932

Reaction score
I am purchasing a 1989 Bronco with automatic hubs and electric Transfer case shifter. I am not a fan of this.
Is there a kit available to change to lockout hubs? Can I simply replace the auto hubs with regular Warn or Ford? Is there anything that needs to be done to the TC to convert away from full time?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
OP
B

Broncoj932

Reaction score
I have installed a lot of locking hubs. That procedure I understand.
To change from auto hubs to lock out hubs, on my 89 Bronco, is there anything else that needs to be done besides change the hubs?
Any TC conversion?

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
Yo!

Going from Auto Hubs to manual was a good call. The reliability is much better.

The body of the transfercase is different on the Manual, The easyest way to get a Manual shift T-case is to harvest one from an F-150 along with all the parts to bolt it to the Bronco.

OP
OP
B

Broncoj932

Reaction score
Yo!

Going from Auto Hubs to manual was a good call. The reliability is much better.

The body of the transfercase is different on the Manual, The easyest way to get a Manual shift T-case is to harvest one from an F-150 along with all the parts to bolt it to the Bronco.
If I leave the electric shift TC and only change out the auto hubs to manual, is there anything else required? Can I only change the hubs without any adverse affects elsewhere?
Back in the late 70’s early 80’s for GM products, when converting from auto hubs to manual, we also had to convert something in the TC.

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
On the ele t-case... I would pull the shift motor out and **** the mechanism to to keep it from seizing up and run it for now. The Hubs are independent of the T-case so no other changes are needed. Just know if you do bump the t-case button you still have to get out and lock the hubs by hand.

Hoever

Reaction score
If I leave the electric shift TC and only change out the auto hubs to manual, is there anything else required? Can I only change the hubs without any adverse affects elsewhere?
Back in the late 70’s early 80’s for GM products, when converting from auto hubs to manual, we also had to convert something in the TC.
That is what I have done gotten rid of the Auto hubs and put on a set of manual hubs , did nothing to the t case all electric works fine going on three years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom