87 bronco wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdubinit82

Reaction score
Hello,a couple of weeks ago a started to go to work in my 87 bronco.I made it about 10 feet out of my driveway and it just died and wouldnt start back up.ive done a few repair on it thinking it would make it run again but no luck.I have changed the spark plugs,spark plug wires,the distributor,cap,roter,and the ignition module but that still didnt make it run.I just purchased a fuel pump online but havent got it yet.The engine turns over just fine but it just will not start.I love this b-ronco but im at my wits end with it.Any help would be greatly appreciated.This 87 bronco is a 5.0 fuel injected engine.oh and according to my code reader,The koeo is saying systems pass.Thanks

Seabronc

Reaction score
Well, you need to determine if it is a spark or fuel supply problem. Check to see if you are getting a nice spark from one of your plug wires while someone operates the key. If that is good, then you need to check the fuel pressure at the rails. The 87 has two fuel pumps, a low pressure pump in the tank and a high pressure one located on the body frame rail just about under the driver seat. Once you have determined which system is the culprit, you can successfully trouble shoot the problem.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
C

cdubinit82

Reaction score
I do have a spark.I didnt know it had two fuel pumps,that kinda sucks.I hope i ordered the right one.thanks for the info! :D/

Blue_Oval

Reaction score
just a thought but did u check the fuel pump relay??

if this relay gets wet it will short out n no longer work.

ran into this problem while out playing :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
C

cdubinit82

Reaction score
update. I replaced the fule pump and my bronco still wont start.Ive ttalked to a mechanic and he told me it was out of time.So i got the engine on top dead center and aligned the distributor to the one spot.The bronco is stil got a little backfire through fuel injector.I dont know if the timing chain could be bad and it wont start but if i cant get it going by next week its going to the shop or the crusher. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Have you checked the fuel pump relay, as Blue Oval suggested. You may have a new pump with no power to it. Do you know for sure you are getting , or not getting fuel , and spark?

It's a p.i.t.a but take the time and do your checks

Do you have a strong spark when cranking?

Do you have fuel preasure with the key in the run position? During cranking?

I know this stuff can make you crazy. Don't give up.

OP
OP
C

cdubinit82

Reaction score
Yeah im getting gas.At first i was getting that much gas but after i changed it im getting more frome the gas bleeder valve.I bought one of those spark testers at harbor freight tools and the light come on when trying to turn it over.I dont think its a strong spark.When i had my mechanic friend come out and look at it he said the small backfire is cause by the timing.We did all the necessary things to get it on top dead center and adjust the distributor and it still backfires and wont start.I am wondering if therer could be a loose wire to the starter or somewere else because i can chargee that battery and after a couple of cranks the battery is dead and its a brand new battery.ive even changed the battery.Ive change everything on this bronco that i think it could have been.

I know im no mechanic but ive been working on cars with my uncle for as long as i can remember.Im giving it some serious thought as to just rebuilding the engine and just putting a carb on it but not sure of everything i need to do cause i hate fuel injected engines.Any input would be greatly appreciated.Thanks :((

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
You might be able to borrow a fuel pressure tester at autozone, pep boys or some other chain parts store.

It would be nice to know if you have enough fuel pressure.

Regarding ignition timing, you need to pull the spout connector before you try setting the base timing, and it should be at 10 degrees BTD.

Pull Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) From your onboard computer.

Your engine and transmission are computer controlled.

The computer uses sensors to tell it a number of different things and it controls actuators that push or pull mechanical levers (kinda). If one or more sensors aren't working properly, the computer goes "blind" and doesn't know what to do. If the computer can "see" but one of the actuators is broken and therefore can't follow the commands of the computer; the engine won't run correctly. The computer is preprogrammed with set values for each of its sensors, and each of its actuators. It will run a self check of all systems, like the space shuttle; it will compare its set value(s) to the value(s) it recieves from its sensors, and actuators. If any sensor or acutator is out of the "normal" range the computer will generate a "code." It will generate some codes on the fly, and others will be stored while you are driving. There is a simple method to "pull codes" out of the computer for one to use for diagnostic purposes.

Earlier versions of On Board Diagnostics OBD 1983-1995 can flash the error code to the dash board and can be pulled in one's driveway without any special tools.

Later versions of On Board Diagnostics OBDII some 1995, and pretty much all 1996 and newer, require one to use a code reader or scanner tool.

Some auto parts stores will scan your engine codes for FREE, you may want to call around. Some will scan OBDII but not the older (prior to 1996) OBD systems.

SO here you go...

How to scan FORD on board Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in your driveway

HowTo Pull Codes 1983-1995 Broncos, Mustang, F series Trucks, Econolines, 302, 351 and more

OP
OP
C

cdubinit82

Reaction score
Thanks bronco joe.Ive bought a autoxray obo1 and 2 and all i get from the code reader is code 11\ systems pass.I cant get the truck running to do a koeo test.I dont really know what king of gas pressure im gettin but when i took the bleeder off gas shot out of the bleeder probably about 2 inches high.Im just at a standstill.I cant work on it everyday cause its about 35 miles away from me at the present moment so ill go by a gas pressure tester and try that.Thanks for your help and time.

Elmo

Reaction score
Please dont take this the wrong way but the only reason you hate the fuel injected engines is because of lack of knowledge about them and what they require to run. Fuel injection is much less work than a carb engine once you know what they need and how to determine if they are getting their needs met. Books are your best friend aside from people who have learned it and are willing to share their time and knowledge to help with issues. learn them and the will run

nelbur

Reaction score
If you know you have spark, the next step is to read the pressure on the fuel rail at the schrader valve with a pressure gauge made for the job. It should be around 30 to 40 psi. Your comment about the gas shooting out about 2" high sounds weak. 30 psi would paint the hood with gas and possibly light the truck on fire, so use a proper tester. Which pump did you replace? The one in the tank or the high pressure pump?

OP
OP
C

cdubinit82

Reaction score
just an update.I had a mechanic come check out my bronco and within a few minutes he told me my timing chain was bad.I dismantled everything in front of the engine but im stuck on the harmonic balancer bolt cause i was told that it has locktite on it.While im waiting on payday does anybody know if that bolt is reverse thread or regular thread?Thanks for everybody help.

reply to elmo.

I didnt take that the wrong way.You hit that nail right on the head.I just dont know enough about fuel injected systems.Thanks for the help!

Bronco Kid!

Reaction score
i was going to say that you should check your timing makeing sure to bring your number one cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke and and make sure that your rotor inside your distributor is pointing to the number one spark plug dont forget to keep ypur distributor slightly loose so you can adjust it for optimal timing, you can always get a trigger and attach it to your starter selanoid so you can start the engine from the front and not have to be in the cab and engine compartment at the same time!! good luck

OP
OP
C

cdubinit82

Reaction score
Got the timing chain and sprockets changed.The top sprocket was completely wore down and broke in half.I just got everything put back together and my baby girl is back on the road.Thanks for everyones help.I needed it :D/

Elmo

Reaction score
WOW i know the inline six will break the timeing gears but i dont think i have ever heard of a v8 doing that. good job on the fix

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat