85 bronco 2 stalls when started and driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85 bronco 2

Reaction score
my 85 bronco 2 will sputter and stall when started unless i keep foot on the gas and will die if i try to shift into drive or reverse unless i rev it up while shifting and then it willsputter and stall if i try to accelerate.Any help much appreciated i'm only 26 and don't know much about fixing vehicles probably cause i never really had a father to teach me but am trying to learn.Thanks

Seabronc

Reaction score
What engine do you have in it? Is it carbed or Fuel injected? The first thing you probably should try is doing a complete tune up; new spark plugs, rotor and cap, wires and do the timing. If it is carbed, then consider a new carb rather than a rebuild. Rebuild kits don't address all the problems in an old carb like component wear which causes vacuum leaks and makes it impossible to get set up right.

Good luck,

:)>-

84broncoII

Reaction score
my 85 bronco 2 will sputter and stall when started unless i keep foot on the gas and will die if i try to shift into drive or reverse unless i rev it up while shifting and then it willsputter and stall if i try to accelerate.Any help much appreciated i'm only 26 and don't know much about fixing vehicles probably cause i never really had a father to teach me but am trying to learn.Thanks
I too have a similar problem with my 85 II its not that bad but sounds very similar, although it only has 51,000 original miles but sat for over a year. :blush:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj