83 stock bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

love_my_bronco

Reaction score
i have an 83 full size bronco.. thats about it as you can see in my sig.. soo start throwing ideas out let you imagination run i wanna know what to do to this.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
i have an 83 full size bronco.. thats about it as you can see in my sig.. soo start throwing ideas out let you imagination run i wanna know what to do to this.
That's a pretty open question. You can turn it into a cartoon character of a truck if you want to.

How much are you willing to spend?

Do you plan to do the work? If so what is your skill level?

OP
OP
love_my_bronco

love_my_bronco

Reaction score
That's a pretty open question. You can turn it into a cartoon character of a truck if you want to.How much are you willing to spend?

Do you plan to do the work? If so what is your skill level?
i have a work force with me theres about 5 of us and im willing to spend about not anything over time this could take awhile but its worth it to me. mainly off road and daily driver.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
mainly off road and daily driver.
See now that's kinda paradoxical to me.

IMO a daily driver should have street tires, that are quiet and give good mileage, but that's just me.

Personally I really like the eddie bauer trim package with the overhead sunvisor.

You can lift it a bit, put on 33's and an overhead light bar, and it will look real nice.

Ofcourse you can add a custom bumper, and a warn winch, a reese hitch in the back, and tow hooks up front. Rocksliders on the sides, will add a little more panache' and be functional. Maybe you'll turn some heads at the local dairy queen.

If you really want to trun heads... consider adding a custom interior like this.

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13696

If you want to go with bigger tires than 33's then you IMO you are out of the daily driver class if you ask me.

So there are tons of options for you, it is really up to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
lmb, come up with a picture in your mind of what you want the Bronco to look like. You can have a show truck, daily driver and trail rig all in one, but you'll have to make some allowances. Rome wasn't built in a day, so I wouldn't expect most of us to build a complete, ultimate Bronco in a few weekends. Start out with basic maintenance first and foremost. I can tell you that it's no fun to have a rig that doesn't run. When you need to repair an item, consider upgrading over a stock replacement. Are you springs and shocks worn out, suspension bushings rotted and the steering all worn out? Might be a better option to install a new lift kit rather than just replace with OEM parts. I think a 4" susp. lift and 33' tires is a happy medium for a dd and weekend warrior. You'll likely break u-joints and axleshafts on a trail run. keep an eye out for a deal on a Dana44 or Dana60 front axle, then do the SAS. Sell the stock axles and TTB lift kit. When you're engine blows up, replace it with a 460cid. Now you can take it to the local mud drags, too, and run with the other 460 Ford trucks and Broncos. Look at what others have done to their rides, then pick and choose what works for you. take lots of pics, and keep us updated. JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
love_my_bronco

love_my_bronco

Reaction score
thanks for all the info ill keep you guys posted as work progresses.. im takeing alot of idea in mind like the 4" lift with 33's i plan on borring my 351 W to 400 heads. duall exhuast with flowmaster headers.. take in mind im doing all this over time i dont expect quick half ass jobs im 18 right now with a pretty ok paycheck (i do my own work no shop stuff) i do my own stuff just buying parts. im looking for a holley 4 barrel intake with a holley 670 cc truck avenger. i have a dana 60 5 5.5 bolt spaceing (took awhile to find) sitting im not gonna put it in when my ttb dies. both my axels will have 4.10's or 4.11's

i already rhino lined the back( hurculiner) and i have off road lights on the bumper. new hologen headlights. i put in 4 extra speakers in the back. so now i have 8 speakers in a bronco. and i have a NP 208 transfer case. i think this is all good for starters. anything else i can add?

OP
OP
love_my_bronco

love_my_bronco

Reaction score
i ment ill put in the dana 60 when my ttb dies.. but im not gonna put it in until my ttb dies.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Something you might check on that's often overlooked is your state's regulations on lift height, aux lights, tire width, etc. if you plan to keep your Bronco street-legal. If you have to pass smog/ emissions tests in your area, that will sometimes limit what mods you can do. iwould suggest a set of headers for your 351W, but I wouldn't bother with stroking it. A simple 0.030" over bore and a mild RV cam with a 4-bbl carb will work great for you. that is, until you come across a 460 to swap in it's place!!! Ive blown up my fair share of 351W's over the years due mostly to oil pump failure.

It looks like you've done a few good mods already. One thing you can do to save money is buy used parts from other Bronco/F-150 trucks, either at the local salvage yard or from sites like Bronco Zone. I'm always looking for a steal on a whole donor rig. You can often get one for under $500, maybe even free if you haul it way. JSM84

OP
OP
love_my_bronco

love_my_bronco

Reaction score
Something you might check on that's often overlooked is your state's regulations on lift height, aux lights, tire width, etc. if you plan to keep your Bronco street-legal. If you have to pass smog/ emissions tests in your area, that will sometimes limit what mods you can do. iwould suggest a set of headers for your 351W, but I wouldn't bother with stroking it. A simple 0.030" over bore and a mild RV cam with a 4-bbl carb will work great for you. that is, until you come across a 460 to swap in it's place!!! Ive blown up my fair share of 351W's over the years due mostly to oil pump failure.
It looks like you've done a few good mods already. One thing you can do to save money is buy used parts from other Bronco/F-150 trucks, either at the local salvage yard or from sites like Bronco Zone. I'm always looking for a steal on a whole donor rig. You can often get one for under $500, maybe even free if you haul it way. JSM84
lift limit here im not sure of but you can have 40 in tire here tops im an 83 so i no longer have to pass emissions i want to take all that stuff out and i plan on finding a donor rig but i cant find one with the mods that i want. all well ill keep looking thank you. i bolted in 2 mini fridges in the cab 1 medium one for a center consol and a small one under the glove compartment both are going to be used as drink despencers. i spray painted my dash a grey camo rhiono lined the rest of the cab.

ill post pics as soon as i get a camra that works. im also looking for a np205 transfer case.

OP
OP
love_my_bronco

love_my_bronco

Reaction score
ok dropped alot of ideas like boring out my 351. with the way gas is now i dont bneeed to pay that much. rock sliders im thinking about saw some on bronco grave yard so i like em. along with the bushmaster fender flares. a 4" suspention lift on the way and getting a full set of 5 33-12.5-15 or 16 im not sure yet. looking at a holly 4bbl double pumper. the dimond plate center piece for an 83 will look pretty sweet. cant fins a soft top yet but im hoping. true dual exahust with headman or flowtech headers and flowmaster 40's or magnaflow. thats it for the ideas for now. what ya guys think.

shift1313

Reaction score
your ttb will never die unless you dont maintain it. I wouldnt waste your time lifting a ttb if you have a solid axle to swap in. its not worth the headache. run 32s or 33s until you swap in your axle. The np208 is a good case, i think its 2.76:1 ratio.

If you want to make a serious off road rig i wouldnt be so concerned with lights and bells and whistles. think about some sort of double t case or something you can lock in the front or rear seperate to do digs. Make sure you have lockers front and rear. Winch. and underbody protection. Since you mentioned sliders im guessing you are talking about rocks, and big ones. Sway bar disconnect or no sway bars would be good.

It really depends on what you call off roading. If you like hitting big mud holes is one thing. if you like tight technical stuff thats totally different.

as far as height regulations you have to be careful. I know in my area its not really an issue but the bronco doesnt go by gvw ratings because it doesnt have a seperate bed. i think the bumper height here in va is like 22" while an f150 would be 30" or something like that.

As far as motors go, i love my 4.9l's they have great torque, about 140hp stock and great gas mileage. My 4.9 in my bronco with my np435 tranny(6.7:1 1st) and 4low on my np208 will let me crawl up anything as long as the traction is there.

good luck

oh yeah, consider a diesel swap and burn veggie oil ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
love_my_bronco

love_my_bronco

Reaction score
i had an idea to drop a cummins diesl in a bronco so i can turn some heads.. i wouldnt havt to worry about torque lol yea its a B#$#h job but it would be intresting.

as for the solid axles im trying to find a dana 44 front and a dana 60 back. both 5-5.5 lug. i think thats a good combo. also i dont exactly know how to double up a t case. something ill look into as for my ideas on mudding.. my family owns 140 achres of MT. Spokane and some of the baddest roads are up there. plus i plan on making some of my own. thats my idea.

everything looking good. can anyone tell me how to go for a 2 bbl carb to a 4 bbl. just a change of intake right?

bko4x4er

Reaction score
i personally like the 79 full size broncos. they seam the meanest looking and they usually have 40's on them when u see them.

i would put some cheap 33x12.5x15's on there. on a 15x8 or 10 wheel. add like a 2'' body lift and like a 2'' susp. lift.

i some reason dont think 3'' body lifts would be a sturdy as a 2''. i dont know why i think that.

33s can be found cheap. **** i got mine free off a junk truck at a auto salvage yard.

shift1313

Reaction score
stay away from body lifts if you can help it.

doubling a tcase, the np205/203 combo is pretty popular. the np205 ofcourse is all gear inside. the 203 has a gear reduction front housing and chain drive in the back. the comon swap is to use the gear reduction from the front of the 203 with an adapter plate and bolt it to the input of the 205. this gives you several reduction options i think down to a 6:1, instead of the normal 2:1- 2.7:1 you get out of the 205-208...

ive thought about diesel before. i wouldnt go with a cummins though. the 250s already came with the same front clip basically and a powerstroke. it would be a much easier swap. You can drop a BW t19 behind it and roll. Just find an old 250 in the yard. Stay with pre92, i think thats when they went to the expensive injectors. before that it was all mechanical i think.

something i was thinking about doing is narrowing the front and rear and raising the bumpers to get better attack angles. I dont think i will but i think it would look pretty cool. im not sure how you would cut the top though if you still ran it.

OP
OP
love_my_bronco

love_my_bronco

Reaction score
hmm sounds good so you think a pre 92 powerstroke would bolt it with little fabrication?

also and i agree about the 79 thing 79 is my favorite bronco but my 83 kicks ass too. about this axel swap im thinking a dana 44 in front and dana 60 rear. not sure if i said that already. gear ration will be 4:10 as for a dble t case is a 208 and 203 a good idea not sure about that. hmm 2 things im looking for right now are easy items just cant find them though. i want a sun viser w lights and those sweet chrome handles on the out side of some broncos. those are sweet. im getting a light bar with 2 day lights and the rest is empty so im gonna go looking around.

shift1313

Reaction score
the np208 is a chain drive case. the np205 is gear drive and much stronger. I know there is an adapter out there to bolt the gear reduction from a 203 to a 205. I dont know of any combos that use the 208 as a starting point. Without doing this type of doubler i dont think you have room to run dual Tcases. did a quick search and came up with this.

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/doubler.htm

I think you have to be careful which np205 you find. I think it came in all the big names but you will want a ford unit. It was already 32spline output and driver side drop. i think dodge/chevy was passneger side. Im not sure whats involved in flipping it over.

I dont know how easy the powerstroke swap is (if you could find a motor) but i dont think it would be too bad. A guy i know has a 92 and an 86, but the 86 is a few states away right now so i cant look at the cross member.

OP
OP
love_my_bronco

love_my_bronco

Reaction score
the np208 is a chain drive case. the np205 is gear drive and much stronger. I know there is an adapter out there to bolt the gear reduction from a 203 to a 205. I dont know of any combos that use the 208 as a starting point. Without doing this type of doubler i dont think you have room to run dual Tcases. did a quick search and came up with this.
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/doubler.htm

I think you have to be careful which np205 you find. I think it came in all the big names but you will want a ford unit. It was already 32spline output and driver side drop. i think dodge/chevy was passneger side. Im not sure whats involved in flipping it over.

I dont know how easy the powerstroke swap is (if you could find a motor) but i dont think it would be too bad. A guy i know has a 92 and an 86, but the 86 is a few states away right now so i cant look at the cross member.
ok i know where i can get a 205 for cheap but getting the thing on my 83 is a pain. havnt seen any 203's around but ill look. im broke at the moment (high school prom) but my next pay check will be put in her.

shift1313

Reaction score
just doing a doubler tcase wont make the truck. you might get more immediate benefit out of a mini spool or some sort of locker in the rear and a winch. Off road the only two things i wish i had when i was taking my bronco out was a winch and both rear tires spinning. sure a double tcase will give you a great low gearing and will allow you to lock in front or rear seperate, but if only one of those wheels is spinning you are kind of defeating the purpose.

Since money is the restriction id start by getting the traction down to the ground then go for the tcase setup. I dont doubt you will be into it for atleast $500 by the time you get a good 203/205 setup.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23