82 Full Size Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamilove

Reaction score
I have an 82 Bronco with a 302. I am having trouble with it running. It starts up and idles......but when you shift it into gear it shuts down. It you start it in gear it is fine also. Then when it runs it smells like crap!!!! It is running really rich. Any ideas on what could be the problem? I'm thinking it needs a new carb......???

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
Sounds like the floats are stuck. Give the float bowl a light whack with a heavy wrench, or light hammer. Sometimes that actually works, most of the time not. Plan for a carb rebuild

It's a holley, isn't it?

towens777

Reaction score
Sounds like the floats are stuck. Give the float bowl a light whack with a heavy wrench, or light hammer. Sometimes that actually works, most of the time not. Plan for a carb rebuildIt's a holley, isn't it?

Mine is doing the same thing. Same year, 145000 miles. I have been told that it is definitely the carb by the mechanic I bought it from. Just some further input.

Stubby1971

Reaction score
what color is the exhaust? is it black and sooty or is it more whitish/grey and moist? does it idle smooth or does it have a miss?

towens777

Reaction score
Not to answer the original posters question, but I have a similar issue I am working on. My exhaust is a bit black and the idle is good, but it wants to die when it's cold and I take off from a stop. After pumping it while it's trying to die, it comes back to life. Perhaps this is the same issue he is having. Sorry to steal your thunder, Stubby.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23