82 Ford Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

genesbronco79

Reaction score
i have an 82 bronco XLT the rear axle is bad and i dont know what the gear ratio is and the tag on the rear axle is gone can someone help

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
If you have the tag on the front axle, it will be the same (or very close) to the rear ratio. You should have a Ford 9" rear axle, and that normally came with a 3.50:1. It's remotely possible that it's something else, like 3.08, 3.73 or even 4.10.

If you don't have either tag, then you will have to jack the rear wheels off the ground. Count the number of turns the driveshaft makes for one revolution of the tire. Turn the tire by hand, and leave the motor off. Might need to put the transmission shifter in neutral, too.

Mark a spot on the tire, and go around twice. Mark a spot on the driveshaft, too. The 3.50 ratio will mean that the driveshaft turns seven full times for two full rotations of the tire. If the opposite side wheel turns in the other direction of the one you are turning by hand, then you also have an open differential, or no limted slip or locker.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Theres another way . The axle ratio is usually stamped in the ring gear . You need to take the rear end cover off and turn axle till you see the numbers should be something like 41-10 . You just dived the 41 by the 10 and you come up with a 4:10 axle ratio . If I had to bet though you probably have 3:55 being that this seemed to be there favorite ratio probably because of gas mileage or something . I cant remember the numbers for 3:55 and 3:73 but they will be stamped in the side of the ring gear. Hope this helps :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
in 82 it should still be a 9" rear, like Just stated the most comman found is 3.50:1 ratio. the 3.55:1 ratio didn't come around in the half tons until the 8.8 rearend was brought out.

If you bronco still has factory drivetrain look no further then the sticker on the door jamb. Look on that sticker and find the Axle code number and post that number up.

4xfan78

Reaction score
You can also check the data plate on the drivers door. I agree with Txquadhunter if its a 9" its most likely to be a 350 gear.

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Yeah, removing the cover or inspection plate and counting teeth will work for the Ford 8.8" rear axle, but not for the Ford 9", since the plate is not removable. If the door jamb sticker is still there, the axle code should be something like "H9" for the 9" or "19/I9" for the 8.8". That's if your lucky enough to have the sticker still on it!!! It will be below the latch for the door on the body or cab on the driver's side. Let us know what you come up with!!!

zakcode

Reaction score
i was wondering how he was going to get the cover off that 9".LOL :rolleyes: i was going to get my grinder out to see if mine was covered with metal.. sorry i could not resist it guys :eek:)

Gunner

Reaction score
yes the 82 does still have the 9" rear end but for everyone saying to look at the sticker in the door jam. think about his and my truck are 24 years old what are the chances of the sticker still being there. i know mine is gone. i know my truck was built on nov11 1981 because i found it stamped when i was grinding away on the beast.

zakcode

Reaction score
OH MAN THERE IS GEAR **** IN THERE ?just kidding. if you get a pump with a strong and flexy tube you can carefully turn your axles to force the tube down to the bottom,then reverse the rotation to get the tube back out.walla it still takes awhile but its easier.
clap.gif
/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /><' />

Justshootme84

Reaction score
I didn't even know I had an ID tag until I cleaned all of the mud off of my axles. Like Gunner said, I had 20 years of grease, grime, sludge, mud built up on the diff.

This is a pic of the ID tag, it's the silver strip on the center carrier for the 9":

=42505&toggle=fullsize&filename=rear9idtag.jpg

While I was hunting up that pic I found this one. Same axle, about five minutes after applying Restore rust preventer. I came back later with another coat the next day, to get it more blakc.

id=80241&toggle=fullsize&filename=restore3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23