80 Bronco Questions W/351M

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Straight6

Reaction score
I'm interested in buying an 80' Bronco with the 351M engine in it but, I was wondering if I could run cheap unleaded fuel in it or do I need to buy the expensive stuff. The Bronco is setting on a swap/sell lot and has not been run in at least two years and the guy that owns the lot has never driven it so he can't tell me anything about the engine.

Also will an AOD tranny fit this engine it has a C6 in it now.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Since octane rating is a measure of resistance to detonation, I'd say that the I6 should run on regular gas. The higher compression the engine is the higher octane that is required to run without pre-detonation.

The owners manuals I have in the 80's all say that the all Ford engines are designed to run on 87 octane at a minimum without knock problems. It is possible that mid-grade might give you a little better milage, but will also cost you enough that the cost per mile wouldn't make it a good option.

Good luck,

:)>-

BLADE262US

Reaction score
The 351M hasnt been used since around 81 but the 460 was used right up into the late 90,s And seeing that the 351M and 460 share the same bellhousing pattern you can use any overdrive tranny that was behind a 460 for your bronco . Not sure if they ever used the AOD behind a 460 but I know they used the E4OD . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Blueblooded

Reaction score
The 351M hasnt been used since around 81 but the 460 was used right up into the late 90,s And seeing that the 351M and 460 share the same bellhousing pattern you can use any overdrive tranny that was behind a 460 for your bronco . Not sure if they ever used the AOD behind a 460 but I know they used the E4OD .  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
22180[/snapback]

Blueblooded

Reaction score
I'm interested in buying an 80' Bronco with the 351M engine in it but, I was wondering if I could run cheap unleaded fuel in it or do I need to buy the expensive stuff.  The Bronco is setting on a swap/sell lot and has not been run in at least two years and the guy that owns the lot has never driven it so he can't tell me anything about the engine.Also will an AOD tranny fit this engine it has a C6 in it now.

22168[/snapback]

I Have a 81 ford bronco with a 400 modified I rebuilt and installed LPG Pistons for a half a point of compresion increase and also installed a elderbrock performer cam and intake and I still can run on reguler unleaded gas. with an ocasional detonation problem. But not always Somtimes the quality of the gas is not always the same in these cases i add ten percent touline 1 gal. for every ten gals. of gas and this boost the octane to a very favorable level. touline can be found in paint stores for about $7.00 a gal. But be careful you and your truck are going to love the performance boost. Good luck

Seabronc

Reaction score
I Have a 81 ford bronco with a 400 modified I rebuilt and installed LPG Pistons for a half a point of compresion increase and also installed a elderbrock performer cam and intake and I still can run on reguler unleaded gas. with an ocasional detonation problem. But not always Somtimes the quality of the gas is not always the same in these cases i add ten percent touline 1 gal. for every ten gals. of gas and this boost the octane to a very favorable level. touline can be found in paint stores for about $7.00 a gal. But be careful you and your truck are going to love the performance boost. Good luck
22342[/snapback]

So you are saying that to bost the octane on my Bronco (33 gallon tank) I should spend approximately $30..00 for touline, plus approx. $72.50 in regular gas, total $102.50 instead of going to mid grade of gas which would cost me approx.$79.50 is a good economical decision?

I think Straight6 said he would like to be able to save some money by running on regular or maybe I didn't understand.

Interesting information though :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj