79 custom

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brad_Hull_79_custom

Reaction score
I have a 79' custom Bronco and i ran it through the mud and when i parked it i tried to bring the hubs out of lock and they wouldn't turn so i took them off and they were all mud!? Is there something wrong or are they not sealed?

Off that subject kinda can you purchase automatic locking hubs for the 79'?

Thanx

Ziggy

Reaction score
Water, being thinner then grease, will find any crack or open to flow into. The seals on the back sides of your hubs may be bad and this is how the mud is getting into your hubs. Every manual, or even the instructions for the hubs themselves, tell you to clean the hubs out after slogging through mud or water. I would also check your axle pumpkins as well as water may have gotten in through the breather hose. This is what happened to my front axle pumpkin to the guy I bought it from and I had to replace everything.

STLKIKN

Reaction score
Well since you're gonna have it all torn down anyway....

You should probably replace the wheel bearings and the wheel bearing seal, pull the spindles off and replace the spindle bearing and associated seals as well....

There should be a rubber o-ring on your locking hub... it may have deteriorated and fallen out, or someone failed to replace it. Your spindle seals may have failed as well.

When greasing a locking hub of any type, I use nothing thicker than either white lithium or red spray type grease.... anything thicker will prevent the hub from locking up in colder weather... As you go to assemble the locking portion to the bearing hub, put a bead of silicone around the o ring surface, it will help keep water etc from entering the hubs.

You could retro fit a set of auto hubs to your truck, but why???

A well maintained set of quality manual hubs should outlast your truck!!

TX_BEAST

Reaction score
i agree with them

mine has been through mud and water to the moulding on the sides and i havent had any problems unless it sits in water for extended period of time.

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
like the others have stated.

if you really want auto hubs ya get a set from from the late 80's to 95 F150/bronco's and they'll swap right in. but be for warned auto hubs ****.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Just another FYI - if the bearings are too tight they will creat heat.

Heat is what will cause a sucking action in water. So instead of holding back the water with a seal it actulaay sucks the water past them, good or bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

GubNi

Reaction score
There's supposed to be a rubber o-ring between the hub and the lockout. I'd guess your orings are missing. I've seen duct tape help out before.

cowboydan

Reaction score
i get mud in the hubs all the time. i also clean and regrease every 2 wheeling trips. and i change gear oil 2 times a year... or as needed. i am going to extend my f/r breathers to the top of my truck this winter. with as much slop as i run through matenence is almost a monthy thing

Big0

Reaction score
my 79 bronco has the same problems as urs brad i went out this weekend and got stuck cause mine quite locking and then my passenger hub wont unlock all the way.

Johnny Reb

Reaction score
my 79 bronco has the same problems as urs brad i went out this weekend and got stuck cause mine quite locking and then my passenger hub wont unlock all the way.
Why go through all that work and waste of money-time after time in your standard American 4 WHEEL-------AND solve your problem once and for all--get a duece and a half and all your troubles are solved-,but some of you may want to go to a 5 tonn since it is POWER STEERING.--You standard truck--WAS NOT MADE TO THE RIGGERS-YOU WANT THEM TO DO. Its not fun getting stranded and you may have to walk along way out--like 30 miles or more.

Have you thought going around -r the hole may be deeper then it looks or their could be a big rock in it to bust your houseing or other parts. I rember ontime I was out rideing in fields in my care in high grass---when I decided tostop and have a look ahead. Good thing I did--their was a high wall(the earth had been dozed out------and it was about 300 feet drop straigh down-so use some caution-it may safe your life .

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat