76 long start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

CaseyB

Reaction score
That's what's strange, no smoke on start or while running. Haven't noticed any coolant issues either. I figured I might have to replace the valve seals, but I still didn't know if that was my start issue. Thanks

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Starting (hot or cold) requires a good spark, fuel & air..., and proper timing.

Most often the problem is fuel. Pour fuel delivery, clogged carb., faulty accelerator pump.

A compression test will tell you if the valve guides/seals  are leaky.., or if it is in fact worn rings.

Valve seals are pretty easy to replace.

OP
OP
C

CaseyB

Reaction score
I am really hoping it's not worn rings, but I thought that worn rings was usually accompanied by some smoke??? I'm still not sure,

And really thought I had more of a fuel issue, but I'm not convinced now. Thanks again

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Working on & weeding out the bugs on an "old school" rig is far & away easier than being a Marine..!

BTW thanks for your service..!

If you haven't already, get a book or go to the library & do some research.

Most all the tools you need for testing are cheap -OR- rent for FREE at most auto parts stores.

We can only do so much here.., as we don't have eyes/hands on.

We all have to decide if we're going to dive into a problem/repair -or- "bite the bullet" & pay

someone to do it.

For example, on any new or strange rig.., I do a plug inspection & compression test right away.

That tells you most everything you need to know as to the eng. condition.

Costs nothing but dirty hands & a cut or two...... ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
Blow out the carb (aka get the crud out clean the bowls and check needles and float) change the fuel filter. Drain tank and add new gas.This always worked for me. seafoam is your best friend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigd1948