76 long start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaseyB

Reaction score
Gentlemen, first post. I have a 76 that has a start issue. After not starting for a few days to a week I have turn over the engine in excess to get it to crank. The choke works 4.0, has a new fuel pump and a new interstate battery. I have even put a little gas straight into the carb with the same results. Once it fires it idles and runs great. I'm not much of a mechanic and could use some help. Thanks in advance

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Casey.., Welcome..!!

Worst case would be a cracked fuel bowl but VERY rare.

You could do a test.  After it sits for a while,  pull one plug wire, put a screwdriver in the hole where the plug goes,

hold the plastic handle & place the metal part of the screwdricer approx. 1/16 to 1/8 inch from something metal on

the engine. (stay clear of the fan)  Have someone turn the key to "start" while you watch for an arcing spark.

You may even here it. If the spark is there that's a good thing.

Again, after sitting;

Knowing there's good spark.., go to auto parts & get a spray-can of "starting fluid"   Spray a couple squirts in the

carb throat.., then try to start. If it fires up & quits OR stays running.., you likely have a fuel delivery  or carb. issue.

The carbs have an "accelerator pump" that often leak or fail. This pump primes the eng. when pressing the throttle

pedal prior to start-up.  This may be the first place to look for the problem.

OP
OP
C

CaseyB

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. A guy that I talked to the other day mentioned the power valve being blown, but as I looked online at some power valve symptoms, I didn't feel like that was the problem. What do you think about that possibility? I have felt like it was a fuel problem, but just haven't been able to isolate it. I'll try your suggestions though, thanks again Bob.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Yep., power valves can act up or fail. However.., I don't think they have any effect on starting.

Other minor issues with carbs are the needle & seat, & float adjustment. These an cause fuel starvation or flooding.

Have you looked at a plug or two..? Plugs are the first line of eng. diagnoses.  Dark/wet = flooding.., dry can

mean starvation.

OP
OP
C

CaseyB

Reaction score
It never fired right up since I got it, but I'm the Marines, it set through deployments with my wife starting it a little, then a fuel pump went out.......blah..blah..blah. My point is I had kinda chocked it all up to sitting, fuel pump, not driving it that often. However, I have now determined that it is without a doubt taking too long to get fuel. I will check a plug this weekend and see how they look. Should I look at it prior to staring or after? I also check and make sure we have good spark, but I think that I do.

Seabronc

Reaction score
If you determine that the spark is good, (nice clean spark, not a weak orange one), (possible bad coil). Also, check the wires for arching, (best done in a dark place).

if it sat for an extended period of time without being started, the gas may not be too good.  In any event, it sounds pretty much like a carb problem.   You might want to consider at least doing a rebuild on the carb and while it is apart, soaking the whole thing in carb cleaner which you can get from a good auto parts dealer, (I don't think you can get it from a Big box store, not the spray can stuff they carry).  It comes in a gallon bucket which has a basket inside it to hold the parts while they soak.  The only problem with a rebuild is that it will not bring the carb back to factory specs.  Best solution is a new carb.

Good luck,

:)>-

genthree

Reaction score
My 73 also had a long-start problem.  I rebuilt the carb, added a fuel filter, replaced and gapped plugs, replaced wires and replaced the points with a Pertronix Ignitor ignition.  You can now stick your arm thru the window and fire it up.  Even without choking it....  I haven't tried lately, because I have been working on the wiring, so hopefully it will still work like that when I try again....

OP
OP
C

CaseyB

Reaction score
Thanks for teh help.  My plan is to replace the Carb post Holidays and mos tlikely the plugs and wires while i'm at it.

genthree

Reaction score
Dont be afraid of taking a shot at rebuilding the carb.  It wasn't that bad....  Just pick out a nice CLEAN place to do it.  Go slow, and keep track of how things came apart.  My 73 didn't have a fuel filter in it and I found really cool piles of junk everywhere in the carb....

OP
OP
C

CaseyB

Reaction score
I don't think that I am mechanic enough to rebuild the carb, but I do have and in-line filter already. I might take a look at how envolved the rebuild will be, but I'm most concerned with the tuning afterwards

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
That carb is not very complicated. Taking lots of pics along the way helps the 1st. time.

"I'm most concerned with the tuning afterwards"

Very little to it..!  Just turn the 'lil screws out 2 1/2 turns.., then fine tune when eng. is warm.

Seabronc

Reaction score
New carb or rebuild, you will need to do some setup.  Either way, they usually come with a set of instructions.

Good luck,

:)>-

genthree

Reaction score
Take good notes.  How many turn did it take to remove the needle valves?  Picture on the phone before you remove the float? Pictures before you break it down (from all angles).   Keep the space where you are working very clean.  There is some little parts in there.  Make sure when you roll it over and before you remove stuff, PAY ATTENTION.....   Take out some bolts take a picture, make some notes, repeat...  I did it and I am NO mechanic....  But I do know that the worse-case scenario is that I have to take the carb in to a local shop and tell them what I did and they will help me...

I found everything I needed to know by googling my carb.  The internet is your friend.....  Worse thing that is going to happen is you buy that new carb after the holidays.....

geggs

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my 73 bronco tonight.. check your fuel lines, mine are old and clogged so i need to replace all mine. It may even be flooded which is an easy fix

OP
OP
C

CaseyB

Reaction score
Finally pulled the plugs, they were wet with oil, mostly#'s 2,3,4. Replaced them, started much easier, then went back out today, same long start, pulled the #4 plug, wet with oil again. Is this the cause to the long start?? Oil ??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23