74 Bronco - Charcoal cannister

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

otto1

Reaction score
Just bought 74 Bronco.... The line that comes out of the canister runs around the frame to the back and is cut near the back axle. The auxiliary tank looks fairly new not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Is this a problem ? or should I just remove the whole thing ? Not even sure why it is there....

Thanks for any input !

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
WOW.., you're fast Otto..!

That hose transfers vapors fr. the tank to the canister. Part of the "smog" system. Some states  req. all that stuff hooked up. Calif. for instance.  (don't know where you are.)  In many cases it's all abandoned.

Maybe put a little inline fuel filter on the end of the hose instead of pluging so the fuel pump doesn't draw a vacuum in the tank. (when it comes time to use it.)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
otto1

otto1

Reaction score
Thanks Bully Bob ! The line actually is just cut not sure if it went into the fuel tank, maybe when they replaced the tank they cut and left the line there. I will try to find a good manual with some diagrams. There was an old manual in the bronco, could not find a clear diagram.

Seabronc

Reaction score
There  should be a vent valve on the top of the tank that the line hooks to.

:)>-

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Go to www.tomsbroncoparts.com  or www.Wildhorses4x4.com  you'll likely see the tank & related parts, that's in your rig.

These older rigs have the hose hook ups (*******) on the driver side in the same area as the filler neck hose.

With the exception of the fuel feed.., it comes out the front/center of tank. (part of the sending unit) 

When buying something fr. these Bronco stores.., request a printed catalog.  Real helpful with pics, drawings, exploded views, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bwonco

Reaction score
Sometimes those hoses need to be there because they are part of the tank vent system, if that line is plugged at the tank with a cap or a hose with a plug in it, you better make sure you have a properly vented gas cap. If it were mine I would hook it up stock. My '73 has an aftermarket aux tank that had provisions for the charcoal canister and the barf box in the quarter panel just behind the driver's door-jamb. I connected them all because I wanted it to work like factory. My bronco is still California compliant but he last time I had to get a smog cert was in 1991.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sometimes those hoses need to be there because they are part of the tank vent system, if that line is plugged at the tank with a cap or a hose with a plug in it, you better make sure you have a properly vented gas cap. If it were mine I would hook it up stock. My '73 has an aftermarket aux tank that had provisions for the charcoal canister and the barf box in the quarter panel just behind the driver's door-jamb. I connected them all because I wanted it to work like factory. My bronco is still California compliant but he last time I had to get a smog cert was in 1991.
We need pics of your 73!

Bwonco

Reaction score
Here's a couple I had handy

Attachments

• 74018553-0D64-4379-AF97-B016B54919F7.jpeg
    74018553-0D64-4379-AF97-B016B54919F7.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 77C5CEF2-4192-4E55-A7E6-E17A8ABEE7AD.jpeg
    77C5CEF2-4192-4E55-A7E6-E17A8ABEE7AD.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3

Members online