69 Bronco/manual Steering Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

broncobilly

Reaction score
i have a 69 bronco 4x, 302, manual steering. The sterring box is worn (too much play). Question(s) ; In Arizona, they want $500 to rebuild mine. Ouch! Are rebuilds worth the $360+ I see advertised? The 90 day guarantee seems a bit scary. Can I rebuild it myself?(i consider myself a decent ratchet head) Is this the time to go to the power steering conversion? I've been quoted $850+ in Az. It sounds like a fairly intense process. I can do the cuttin of the shaft, the rewelding, mounting the new box, chasin down the pulley that doesnt come with the kit, etc, but is the kit worth it? Am i better off stayin with manual steering? The bronco is primarily towed to the "playground", so I'm not drivin alot of hiway miles. Last question. I need the names of reputable folks i can get the parts from...Anybody have contacts in Az...Shippin adds up...thanks guys....<<broncobilly>>

admin1

Supreme Commander
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I believe that http://broncograveyard.com sells a rebuild kit that is not too hard to install and if you have trouble ask for Marty there, he is the pro when it comes to those steering boxes.

One thing to look out for is if someone has overtightened the adjustment ***** since it will gouge into the sector shaft rendering it useless for long term durability. I believe that once it is gouged it tears up the other gear in there quite fast.

Dana

OP
OP
B

broncobilly

Reaction score
dana,

thanks bud....i've been in touch with the Graveyard...I've found the kits vary in quality of parts especially the steering box and the pump...i tracked down a company outta california. Alpine Bronco Parts...They sell 4 0r 5 different kits inlcuding the "super heavy duty" lol (they refer to it as "bullet proof")...i have discovered some conversion kits using light duty boxes and pumps which they claim, if using oversize tires, can shorten length of life of these 2 components...the searth goes on...thanks again, cool sight!

OP
OP
B

broncobilly

Reaction score
supplement...the average kit cost Ive found is $850...there is a completely stock ford application that goes for $1,100...the deluxe, heavy duty, bullet proof, able to leap tall rocks at a single bound kit pops for a tad over $1200.......bb

Wildturkey

Reaction score
Want to go stock power steering check out broncoconnection.net.He sells used parts of all kinds.I bought a P/S setup last year for 450.00 and it included everything including the pulleys.Good place for a P/S gear box rebuild is westtexasoffroad.com.I think they charge 125.00 and they probaly can build a manual box also.

OP
OP
B

broncobilly

Reaction score
wildturkey,

thanks for your help, bud. went to broncoconnection. cool site. i think i can do business with these guys.....bb

amcabbott

Reaction score
For manual or power Steering Gears, Power Cylinders, (old ford power assist steering) calipers, steering pumps, water pumps, Control Valves, rack & pinions try A1 Cardone at http://www.cardone.com they are the leading rebuilder. my 95 need a new power steering gear it cost me $148.99 plus my old unit life time warrenty.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23