6 inch lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

regarrr

Reaction score
Alright, so I'm looking at buying a 6" lift from Bronco Graveyard. It says the driveshafts will need to be lengthened. My Bronco is an '87 and I would imagine that it would be a good idea to replace the driveshafts due to the nature of the activities I would like to put her through. Or maybe lengthened old ones would be fine? I was thinking about buying new driveshafts and having them modified to fit the 6" lift. But then I got to wondering if another vehicles stock driveshafts would fit a lifted Bronco? like an old Ford 250 or something? I've tried to find the answers online, but no luck. Two new Bronco driveshafts would cost about $500, plus the mods, so I'm looking at around $650. I could just lengthen the old ones that I have now, but I wonder if they would be durable enough. If there is a vehicle that has stock drive shafts that would fit a lifted Bronco, maybe that would be a better way to go?

Roadkill

Reaction score
Lengthened driveshafts are not needed. Lots of guys, me included, been running 6" lift with stock shafts for very long time with no problems. I don't know how you plan to use yours, but I wheel the crap out of mine (rocks, mud, and trails) and have never had a driveshaft problem. Broke a front axle shaft, but never a driveshaft.

That's just my two cents, if you really want/need longer shafts, you will have to get one made for it. To the best of my knowledge, no other vehicles shaft will just bolt up. An F250 (150 or 350 for that matter) truck driveshaft would be way too long. There are several places that make them. I have heard good stuff about Tom Woods. Don't have a link, but Google is you friend. B)

OP
OP
regarrr

regarrr

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I figured there would be somebody out there that would know something about this. Well that's good news.

You said you broke a front axle, what other areas should I be concerned about? Most of the steering linkage is new, I was just wondering what some common trouble points are. Like things that are prone to breaking from a bit of a pounding. I would like to get it up to Rausch Creek this summer, but it's a 200 mile drive and I don't want any disasters.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I agree with roadkill that you prolly don't need to lenghten the driveshafts for a 6" lift on the TTB Bronco. Just check after the lift is installed for fitment or any binding while cycling the suspension. None of the F-series driveshafts will fit ,as the yoke ends on the t-case dont' match up with the Bronco t-case yokes/ flanges. Also, many of the longbed trucks use a slipyoke rear output instead of a fixed yoke or ****** like on the Bronco. IF you're going to pound the Bronco on hard rocks, you might consider doing what I did and fab some or have someone make them from 1/4" thick square tubing, like you use for a receiver hitch. I have a thread on how I built mine i nthe 80-96 Bronco Tech Support forum. You might want to run the regular shafts on the road, then switch out for offroad use.

If you wheel the Bronco much offroad, you'll find the weaknesses in both stock axles as well as the steering. Axle shafts, u-joints and wheel bearings will get stressed more, even more so by larger tires. A bud of ours recently bent the front drag link on his rig. you can either have it sleeved or upgrade to a F-250/ F-350 drag link. Best advice is to carry a couple spare shafts and bearings with you on the trail or at least at camp.

Good luck, JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat