31's vs. 33's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Okay so time for new tires..well I don't NEED em, just want em lol

My Bridgestone Duelers are AWESOME in the snow an ice. I plan to keep them for awhile as my winter tires on the stock rims. The new tires I'm looking at are the Goodyear Duratrac's. They got an 8.6 rating out of 10. Pretty dang good. I'll be wrapping those around some two tone 15" wheels.

So here's the thing.. I got technical data for my current tires which are 31's, vs the 33's I want to get..here's how it plays out:

Section Width - A tire's section width (also called "cross section width") is the measurement of the tire's width from its inner sidewall to its outer sidewall

and Overall Diameter - A tire's overall diameter is the outer diameter of the tire measured in the center of the tread.

Bridgestones: Section width = 10.7" and the Overal Diameter = 30.5".

Revolutions per mile is 683

Duratracs: Section width = 12.5" and the Overal Diameter = 32.5".

Revolutions per mile is 643

So the question is.. is 2" width really that big of a difference to cause rubbing? If I got a stick and measured and cut it at 2" long, and turned the wheel on the bronco and measure the outter distance with the wheel turned..would that give me a good enough idea to see if they would fit?

Looking at the numbers..I don't think 2" would be great enough cause rubbing? I know the height wont be an issue...

cateringroadie86

Reaction score
I have a 90 full size with 33x12.50s. Stock suspension(for now) and only 2 inches of body lift... My tires just BARLEY rub when I have the wheel cut and hit a bump.

shift1313

Reaction score
depends on your rims. a 12.5" tire will be a different width on an 8" rim vs a 10" rim. What are the specs of the rims you plan to run?

I have 33x12.50s with no rubbing issues on wider/offset rims, but 31x10.50s rub the radius arm on stock rims.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Read the technical material about the tires you intend to use. All manufacturers require a minimum of 10 inch rim width for 12.5 tires. You can stuff them on 8 inch rims, but that voids the manufacturer warranty. The reason is that the bead can not be guaranteed to lock properly in 8 inch rims. The legal end of that is that if you go ahead and ignore the manufacturer requirement, you are on your own if anything happens as a result of it. ie. pop a bead, have an accident and cause physical or bodily injury to anyone.

12.5's mounted on a 10 inch rims often rub in hard lock over, on later models it doesn't seem to be a real problem. There are couple of ways to fix rub, 1. Don't do a hard over turn, (limits your turning radius). 2. Adjust the stops, (limits your turning radius).

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator: