1993 frame rotting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stixturbo

Reaction score
I have a 1993 bronco that the passenger side frame has some large holes rusted into it about 10 inches to the rear of the shock/spring mount. I'm not really sure how repairable the frame is, so I'm looking for a donor bronco with a solid frame. This is not the first bronco I have had with this same rot issue. I have had this bronco for 22 years and would love to be able to drive it on a regular basis. If anyone has any ideas on how to make a solid repair to that section of frame, or any idea to find a donor frame, I would really like to hear any and all opinions. Thanks in advance for your input!

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
If that is the only bad spot in the frame I would cut it off and weld on a new piece from a donor.
I am not sure but I think the donor can be an F150 as well. Finding a used frame can take some time but usually cheap. Guys parting out trucks can just take a sawzall and cut what you need.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo stixturbo,

For repairs, see site's FRAME & MOUNTING; roll bars & cages, rivets, body mount...Section at http://schwimserver5.com/index.php?index=37

Some links may be bad due to site deletion

In Cleaning & Rust Proofing, see;

Restoration of a 79
Source: by sfu7274456
Restoration of a 79 (pics are gone)
Source: by BigfootWannabe (Dave)

And go through Frame Service; Drilling Precautions, Straightening, Reinforcing, Member Replacement, etc.

For a new frame, I can only suggest contacting S&W Race Cars - Bronco roll cages w/Family Bars 78-96, frames, parts & custom manufacturing at https://swracecars.com/product-category/frame-rails-accessories/
Shipping may be costly.

For a YARD SEARCH on-line, I use;
Hollander Quality Replacement Parts | Find Used Auto Parts | Online Locator
A yard that uses Hollander Interchange can search other yards and have it shipped including some Canadian yards.
"...For over eighty years, Hollander has been making the best tool for fast, interchangeable part matches. The new Edition Hollander Interchange contains more interchangeable options than ever before.
The Hollander Interchange provides auto recyclers and auto collectors, rebuilders, and others with the easiest and most comprehensive solution for identifying interchangeable auto parts..." See their yard Directory @ Seller Directory | Used Auto Parts | Hollanderparts
Can select a certain part.
If a specific part isn't listed, search again for the next higher assembly, such as in this instance, the tailgate.
¤
or
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
Can select certain parts
Can search by year range, such as 92 through 96 & has best item condition descriptions.

Was speed control, if equipped, recall work completed? Check @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number); or @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or ... have VIN ready. While there, see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

Here is the 1993 Bronco Dealer Brochure in Google Drive @ 93Bronco.pdf

1993 Bronco Dealer Training Video via silver70 @

1993 Bronco, Venezuela Commercial @

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke