1990 5.0L rebuild question...valve lash adjustment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jramirez35

Reaction score
have been in a rebuild on this bad boy over the past month...with the exception of the weather, all has gone well.  it is a stock rebuild...no MAF upgrade or aggressive cam.  it worked well for 200,000+ miles stock, it will work for another 200,000 miles (hopefully) with a stock rebuild that was a budget build anyway.  I did have a machine shop do all the machining work and in discussions with them, i decided on new cam, lifters, push rods, and rocker arms which is the way to go when you get a new cam anyways.  i torqued down the heads last night and started attaching rocker arms when i thought to myself...is there a valve lash adjustment for hydraulic flat tappet lifters and stock rocker arms for this engine? the haynes doesnt mention it, youtube has a guy that is doing the exact rebuild i did and he doesnt do it, so is there one?  I envision that i just rotate the engine in firing order to the compression cycle of each respective piston and tighten the rocker arms to torque specs which is 20 ft/lbs.  Am i right on this?  I remember on my very first car (a '66 Mustang w/a 289 and a roller cam) that you had to set valve lash by the description i gave earlier and then set the lash by tightening down till the push rod just stopped twisting in your fingers.  Any clarification on this would help...i don't see with such a light torque spec that a lash adjustment would even make a huge difference.  i eagerly await your responses. 

OP
OP
jramirez35

jramirez35

Reaction score
disregard the post...i found the chapter in the haynes for this.  it is not adjustable so after preloading of the lifters torquing to appropriate specs is what is done.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Just check the tops of 1/2 of the rods.  I believe you will find caps on them that should be replaced while you are doing this.  Can't remember for sure if they are on the exhaust lifter rods or the intake rods.

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK