1988 Ford Bronco issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bronconoob

Reaction score
so my friends 1988 Ford Bronco wont start. He drove it home from work, then turned it off, next morning tried to start it. It will Crank over but no caboom. I've read many posts and i only have 1 issue. How do i tell if its an ignition or fuel problem? i dont know how to tell if its a spark or if its getting fuel. He doesn't have enough money for a mechanic and im the usual fix it guy. Its his daily driver so a response asap would be appreciated.My dad also told me the "sensor module" which from reading im guessing is the PCM is to blame. wanna know before i make him buy one.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi noob., welcome..!

"i dont know how to tell if its a spark or if its getting fuel."

Cheapest way;

Pull a plug wire & short (near) to ground..turn key.., no sparkie., it's an ign. issue.

If carb. shoot some starting fluid in carb throat., no fire., it's a fuel issue. (prob. do the same if injected if you move {remove} the air inlet tube.)

chuckles1856

Reaction score
Try what Bully Bob said.

And here's my 2 cents:

I have a '91 that's fuel injected. Had this happen twice.

Once it was the fuel pump and the other time it was the fuel pump relay. How to tell? Turn the key like you're gonna start it but don't. You should here the fuel pump whine. If it doesn't it's sort of a dead give away there's something going on with the relay/pump. I'd start with the relay cause it's cheap.

Let us know what happens.

cdubinit82

Reaction score
Hey,I am by no means a mechanic like most of these people but i do know a little.I agree with chuckles and bully.When i was workin on my 87 i replaced everything i could think about because mine did the same thing.Mine was the timing chain.I hope thats not your case but i was getting a small spark and it ddnt matter.My timing chain sprockets were wore out.I finally got it changed and it runs like a dream.Anyways im just tryin to save you a few buck cause everything i changed wasnt cheap.I hope everything works out for you!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Good point 82 ..!!

I often recommend check'n timing chain on the EB's as some are original.

"I am by no means a mechanic like most of these people but i do know a little" >:D< <'>

This makes you as qualified as any of us...!! Don't hesitate chime'n in with an idea., that's all any of us do, as we're not "on site".! Never know who's going to "hit the nail on the head". :-B

Unfortunately., we rarely know, as most folks never come back with the results/solution to their problems. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:

bobstrat

Reaction score
put a timing light on the coil to cap wire and try starting. that should verify spark. (of course, trigger the timing light as you crank it.)

the ignition module is a notorious fail.

despite what many claim, my limited experience shows the pcm to be, sadly, one of the most reliable parts on the truck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23