1978 Bronco 6.0 Powerstroke Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reds Diesel

Reaction score
We had a 460 in her originally. Had plans for a 5.9 Cummins, but decided to stick with all Ford. We picked up a roll over 6.0 for a good price. Instead of trying to jerry the motor onto the original frame, we picked the body off the 78 and cut down the 6.0 frame to fit the wheelbase of the 78. Lots of fab work later we got everything to fit.

Seabronc

Reaction score
This would be a neat, "How To", for someone else thinking of doing a similar change in the future.  You could use this thread as your build scrapbook.  Take lots of pictures and make notes here.

Have fun and good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
Reds Diesel

Reds Diesel

Reaction score
I can try to find some more pics but I'm not sure that would help! The swap was really not that bad! The only advise I would say is to cut out the firewall and use the one out of the superduty to aid in the master cyl mounting and for the clearance of the up pipe. When we did it we did not do that. For ours we had a complete donor truck and so we used everything as far as brakes and abs so we just shortened the frame and mover cab mounts on the frame to fit the bronco cab onto the frame! If you have the basic shop welder, tourch, lift this swap can be done! If not I would do it for a fee!

chrlsful

Reaction score
only thing bronk is the '78 body?
Saw a guy do this w/a '40s power wagon (the flatheadi6 pick up) onto a
dodge '84/97 for the ease of gettin the 12v/6BT, frame'n modern goodies. Never sure how body mounts match up on these conversions, wheather U need to move axels to get in wheel wells etc but I lub da idea. I'd keep the ol interiors too but most upgrade that too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke