1972 Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wlodonnell

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recently bought a 72 Bronco and am now trying to figure out how to fix it up. Obviously the ideal would be a ground up restoration, but lets be realistic; my job doesn't provide me the luxury of that much extra cash. The engine runs strong, the tranny needs a little tweaking, and the frame is good. The body has rust, mostly just surface stuff, but a few cancerous spots that will need to be cut out and new steel rewelded. Gauges work besides the spedometer, i think it is just the gear; Basically changing the fluids and lubing up some of the basics, it is a solid bronco, but just doesnt look pretty.

I am looking for some guidance on where to go from here. It is driveable, probably enough I could make it my daily driver from one side of base to the other, but i am looking for a fun, off-roading, weekend vehicle... if it looks good thats a plus.

I had a CJ that I really screwed the restoration on by throwing money at a crappy paint job and random new parts. I want to do this one right - within $$ limits.

I am thinking of basically stripping the entire body - seats, dash, top, every ****** etc., and removing the body from the frame. Then send the body off to get fixed up at a restoration place nearby (on Cape Cod, MA); by fixed up I mean rust prepped, new pieces welded in place of cancerous rust, primed, sanded, painted, clear coated. I am confident in the frame, and all the underparts, and anything that needs to be done mechanically i feel confident doing. Just not the body work and welding.

Any thoughts on how to fix this up the right way, without blowing a ton of $$?

Thanks for the advice.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Well, basically., ----- if you're going to drive it around a bit B/4 teardown---

Make sure it stops safely/correctly.

Make sure it steers the same & all the front suspension/steering is tight to spec.

Then dial in the engine, drive line, cooling, wiring, fuel tanks & plumbing, tires/wheels, dash instruments, interior, etc.

The body is a diff. story. You can purchase a small wire feed welder & become a welder in about 15 min.

------(if I can do it.., anybody can..!)----

And., now days, lots of that stuff can be "glued" back together..!!

R&R'ing the body isn't cheap or easy...nor is the body work cheap.

I wouldn't remove the body unless there's major damage., the frame is shot., or making a show truck.

I'm assuming you have access to the motor-pool.......

It sounds like you haven't decided whether to make it functional.., or., pretty & functional.... :unsure: ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:

anisend09

Reaction score
The site looks a little bland. Your livery has some blue and a unique yellow; bring some of that into the site.

Develop some branded images to make the headings of your tables stand out more.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
You'll need to make a list.

Start with one list, all your mods and upgrades and fixes you want done. Then if you can, price everything out, and I mean everything!! This will give you a ballpark of how much money would be needed to fullfill your dreams, wishes, and real goals.

Then filter out them in stages. 3 stages.

1: What is needed in order to drive it so it doesn't speed off and crash into Adamdudes truck and **** his family. Again, make a price list, and list everything in order of saftey. Brakes are #1 compared to a turn signal that burns a fuse every day.

2: Everything you want done to the truck as far as mechanical (new motor, rebuild), looks/style, and inside toys such as a radio and speakers, and HID headlights and such.

3: Mods and toys that you don't NEED for everyday use, such as a winch, roll bar, 35" tires, aftermarket racing seats..

Get a new bank account. One for JUST the Bronco. (I have 7 bank accounts each major project; Home, Bronco, Two trucks, vacations, ect)

If you make a list of what needs to be done FIRST to last, that's the easy way. Doing the work yourself can save money, but only as long as you know what you're doing, trail n error, or a quick learner!

Good luck!

Wild Willy

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recently bought a 72 Bronco and am now trying to figure out how to fix it up. Obviously the ideal would be a ground up restoration, but lets be realistic; my job doesn't provide me the luxury of that much extra cash. The engine runs strong, the tranny needs a little tweaking, and the frame is good. The body has rust, mostly just surface stuff, but a few cancerous spots that will need to be cut out and new steel rewelded. Gauges work besides the spedometer, i think it is just the gear; Basically changing the fluids and lubing up some of the basics, it is a solid bronco, but just doesnt look pretty.
I am looking for some guidance on where to go from here. It is driveable, probably enough I could make it my daily driver from one side of base to the other, but i am looking for a fun, off-roading, weekend vehicle... if it looks good thats a plus.

I had a CJ that I really screwed the restoration on by throwing money at a crappy paint job and random new parts. I want to do this one right - within $$ limits.

I am thinking of basically stripping the entire body - seats, dash, top, every ****** etc., and removing the body from the frame. Then send the body off to get fixed up at a restoration place nearby (on Cape Cod, MA); by fixed up I mean rust prepped, new pieces welded in place of cancerous rust, primed, sanded, painted, clear coated. I am confident in the frame, and all the underparts, and anything that needs to be done mechanically i feel confident doing. Just not the body work and welding.

Any thoughts on how to fix this up the right way, without blowing a ton of $$?

Thanks for the advice.

Wild Willy

Reaction score
Hello,

I am at that this same stage as well. I have made the list as others have advised and it can be quite scary. Take your time and build it the way you want it. As for taking the body off, be careful. One can damage the body on these trucks by lifting them incorrectly. If you decide to take the body off, support the rear by the tail gate and up front by the door jams. Problems I found when I took the body off from mine were that the body bolts were rusted in. They are a bear to remove and I ended up cutting them out. The front clip was rusted and was very weak. I cut it off as well in order to save it with out really messing it up. Have alot of penatrating oil on hand. Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23