170 or 200?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncDriver

Reaction score
Please help me know how to identify which engine my bronco has.

It is a straight 6 however I don't know if it is a 170 or the bigger 200.

OP
OP
BroncDriver

BroncDriver

Reaction score
Please help me know how to identify which engine my bronco has.

It is a straight 6 however I don't know if it is a 170 or the bigger 200.

Well I found the answer to my own question.

With no replies to my q here on the forum, I thought maybe I should share the info.

At first glance, the 170/200/250ci sixes all look the same. Closer inspection reveals the differences. The 170ci six has three freeze plugs in the block. The 200ci six has five freeze plugs. The 250ci six is 1.66 inches taller than the 200ci six and is easily identified by its taller design and a four-bolt water pump. The 200ci has a three-bolt water pump. The 250 is 3/4 inch wider than the 170 and 200.

trains11tjc

Reaction score
Well I found the answer to my own question.

With no replies to my q here on the forum, I thought maybe I should share the info.

At first glance, the 170/200/250ci sixes all look the same. Closer inspection reveals the differences. The 170ci six has three freeze plugs in the block. The 200ci six has five freeze plugs. The 250ci six is 1.66 inches taller than the 200ci six and is easily identified by its taller design and a four-bolt water pump. The 200ci has a three-bolt water pump. The 250 is 3/4 inch wider than the 170 and 200.
or you can just as easily go to http://broncohio.com/tech/ebvins.html and decode the vin.

OP
OP
BroncDriver

BroncDriver

Reaction score
or you can just as easily go to http://broncohio.com/tech/ebvins.html and decode the vin.
Thanks, but been there done that. That is where I went first but the seller said his dad did something to the engine a year or so after he bought it back in 1966. He didn't know if it was an overhaul or what happened that early?

My vin says it is a 170, however, it turns out that it has a 200 in it.

That is why I needed to fnd a way to know the difference.

I hope this helps someone else.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula