‘89 Ignition trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrdurand

Reaction score
I’m trying to start my Bronco but when I turn the key to the start position there is nothing but the brake warning indicator. There is no relay click, no attempt at a starter solenoid engagement, just the red brake warning indicator light.

Any help will be great because I have no idea where to go from here.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I’m trying to start my Bronco but when I turn the key to the start position there is nothing but the brake warning indicator. There is no relay click, no attempt at a starter solenoid engagement, just the red brake warning indicator light.

Check to see if the battery is charged up. A little juice will light a bulb--If it is charged a little-start check the ignition switch and stuff----how much mechanical experience do yo have ?> The desription and make of you bronco .

OP
OP
J

jrdurand

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. My battery has 12.1v and 880 CCA. So the battery isn’t the issue.

I have 14 years of being a professional diesel mechanic. So working on my Bronco is a little different. I have a 89 Eddie Bauer with the 5.8 and a C6 transmission.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. My battery has 12.1v and 880 CCA. So the battery isn’t the issue.

I have 14 years of being a professional diesel mechanic. So working on my Bronco is a little different. I have a 89 Eddie Bauer with the 5.8 and a C6 transmission.
I had the same problem on my 78 . Hear a wire had came out of the connection from the ignition wire to the solinoid on the positive side to the battery. Start the switch and check it out first--then go from their. Their guys hear that can tell you alot aot the codes and relays. They should have done been on buy now--but they will be.Good luck.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
The passenger side fender should have this solenoid on it.

If you jumper across the two big terminals does is turn over?

If not, then probably starter is bad.

If so, then solenoid, or power from ignition switch to this solenoid is bad.
This solenoid has to be grounded, so make sure it has a clean mount.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 6

johnnyreb

Reaction score
The passenger side fender should have this solenoid on it.

If you jumper across the two big terminals does is turn over?

If not, then probably starter is bad.

If so, then solenoid, or power from ignition switch to this solenoid is bad.
This solenoid has to be grounded, so make sure it has a clean mount.
Also make sure the wires and terminals are in good shape and connected good.

travis650d

Reaction score

12.1 V is a dead Battery. I would take it to Autozone and have them charge it. It takes atleast an hour but then they test the battery afterwards to tell you if it's good or bad. If it's bad go buy a new battery from Walmart. I was watching a youtuber and they said Walmart, Costco, Autozone, and a few other companies get their batteries from the same company. So it seems dumb to pay more than you have to for the same battery. I will say though, the most expensive battery at Walmart is worth it. They have I think 2 different grades and the more expensive one is better. I hope this helps.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
12.1 V is a dead Battery. I would take it to Autozone and have them charge it. It takes atleast an hour but then they test the battery afterwards to tell you if it's good or bad. If it's bad go buy a new battery from Walmart. I was watching a youtuber and they said Walmart, Costco, Autozone, and a few other companies get their batteries from the same company. So it seems dumb to pay more than you have to for the same battery. I will say though, the most expensive battery at Walmart is worth it. They have I think 2 different grades and the more expensive one is better. I hope this helps.
My cousin was telling me about his wife.,s cousin working in battery factory in Florida and he was told the same thing--about different battery names changed. About the Walmart battery . I have one on my truck that has been in it for quite awhile. I took a picture of it.

Bricknose

Reaction score

I had the same problem and ended up I had a bad ignition switch change it out and that was the problem

Tiny Jaime

Reaction score

Look at your ignition starter switch on the lower part of your steering column they have a tendency to separate and work enter intermittently. When you turn your key on there's a rod that activates the ignition starter switch so it's not in the upper part of the steering column it's in the lower part that may be your issue here's a picture of my old one that came apart

Attachments

• IMG_20220423_172603848.jpg
    IMG_20220423_172603848.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 6

King Daddy Rabbit

Reaction score

Switch on column pushes a rod that runs down the right side of the steering column. You will find a relay at the end of rod. The rod pushes on it and that is what actually start your vehicle. It can be out of adjustment or just worn out. I got replacement at Advance Auto. Pretty easy repair in tight space.

travis650d

Reaction score
I would also replace your battery cables, at the same time you replace your battery. In the winter time they can prevent the Bronco from starting. If that don't start your Bronco, you can test your ignition switch(not the key and lock). The one on the lower section of the column, up under the dash like the other guys mentioned. You remove the lowest plastic shroud, the one closest to the dash. On top you see a sort of "flatish" bar, get some needle nose pliers and grab the bar and push down. If that starts your Bronco then you know it's either the ignition switch or there's a metal lever( ignition acuator) in the tilt wheel column that's broken. To understand how to replace that bar I would go on youtube and watch a few videos on how to do it. The video mentioned below explains how to get the pins out of the column. Alot of the other videos don't remove them right. hope this helps!!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke