Which lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bpatrick

Reaction score
Ok, I want/need to lift my bronco... the po put spacers in the springs so that 35s would fit, and i want to do it right before i take her off-roadin'. I was thinking bout a 4inch lift.... but I dunno which would be better, suspension or body lift? size... 2.5",4",6"? and also once i get up so high... what do i need to replace,lengthen? I know it's alot, but I'm new to the truck game.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Lots & lots of variables there my man. To run 35's you'll want either a 4" or 6" kit depending on how you plan to use the truck. If you do a lot of rock-climbing and flex the suspension a lot then you'll want 6", otherwise a lot of guys get away with 4" for road use & trail riding. Regardless of which way you go a suspension lift is almost always better than a body lift. The body lift will *cost* less up front but it involves a LOT of work on the back end. Once the body has been lifted off the fram you'll need to change or adapt the fuel filler hose, brake lines, transmission shifter linkage, transfer case linkage (if it's a manual) the throttle likage, the fan shroud and you'll have to go thru thr truck front to back looking over *all* of the electrical connections and seeing if there's any strained wiring anywhere. They're cheap to buy but a LOT of work to install and when you're done all you've done is raised the body, you haven't gained a millimeter of suspension travel or off-road capacity. A suspension lift is more expensive up-front but once installed it's installed and with the exception of longer brake lines you don't have all the same nickle-n-dime issues that body lifts have. You're generally cool with all your stock parts until you begin to exceed 6" of suspension lift and then you start needing to consider longer driveshafts.

OP
OP
B

bpatrick

Reaction score
Lots & lots of variables there my man. To run 35's you'll want either a 4" or 6" kit depending on how you plan to use the truck. If you do a lot of rock-climbing and flex the suspension a lot then you'll want 6", otherwise a lot of guys get away with 4" for road use & trail riding. Regardless of which way you go a suspension lift is almost always better than a body lift. The body lift will *cost* less up front but it involves a LOT of work on the back end. Once the body has been lifted off the fram you'll need to change or adapt the fuel filler hose, brake lines, transmission shifter linkage, transfer case linkage (if it's a manual) the throttle likage, the fan shroud and you'll have to go thru thr truck front to back looking over *all* of the electrical connections and seeing if there's any strained wiring anywhere. They're cheap to buy but a LOT of work to install and when you're done all you've done is raised the body, you haven't gained a millimeter of suspension travel or off-road capacity. A suspension lift is more expensive up-front but once installed it's installed and with the exception of longer brake lines you don't have all the same nickle-n-dime issues that body lifts have. You're generally cool with all your stock parts until you begin to exceed 6" of suspension lift and then you start needing to consider longer driveshafts.
Thanks Bill, The truck will be more for daily/mud work.. not alot of rocks around here. looks like I'm looking for a 4inch lift then.

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
Thanks Bill, The truck will be more for daily/mud work.. not alot of rocks around here. looks like I'm looking for a 4inch lift then.
Bill it everything on the head. I would add if your going to do it buy a complete lift system with all the bells and whistles such as new rear leafs, extended radius arms and such. It wil be worth it in the long run.

Rick in Orlando

ms_jetset

Redneck & The Bronco
Reaction score
I have a 95 Bronco, and put a 4" Super lift on her and 33" tires. I think its PERFECT! I drive it every wkend from the Big Apple to the Poconos, (N.E. Pennsylvania). I was gonna go with a 6" lift, but think that might of been too much. That's when you really get into a whole nother world of work. I'm gonna try and post pics. of her this wkend, and you can see how AWESOME she looks. It's totally up to you, you can go 6" lift with 35's, but personally I wouldn't go more than that. Good luck brother!

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
bpatrick, sounds like you're just like the rest of us. "Need" to lift the Bronco, not "Want" to. I really like a 4" suspension lift and 33" tires for a daily driver/ weekend play rig. With that said, I suggest you do alot of searching, asking questions, looking at other Broncos with various lifts and choosing what's right for you. I ultimately decided that a 6" Skyjacker kit was what I wanted- oops, needed - for 35" tires on my 84 Bronco that mainly ran in mud. I was very happy with that for a few years. After doing the SAS and swapping to 1-ton axles, I only wish I had done this to begin with. If, and this is a big IF, you plan to keep your Bronco forever as I do, consider a SAS (straight axle swap) vs a lift kit. I originally thought it would be too expensive compared to the $1000 lift kit. The same lift kit is now about $2500, way more than what a used pair of 1-ton axles cost. Alot depends on your skills in doing the work yourself vs paying a shop to do the work. Average price to install a 4" or 6" suspension lift kit on your Bronco is about $500, and often well worth it if you don't have the time, tools, or place to do it. I was able to do the SAS for the cost of the axles only, fabricating the parts I needed on my own. JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23