idle problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cory1014

Cory1014
Reaction score
Whether cold or hot when I stop at a stop sign or red light in drive my rpm and battery amp gauges will jump/drop every so often. I know this has to be an electricle problem some where I just can't seem to pin point it. Also when i shift into reverse the two gauges will jump/drop and if i cut the wheel too much in reverse it will just shut off. I have not a clue what to check or what is happening. It never has problems starting and there isn't any hesitation when accelorating. any information would be great!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
Problems like these are not easy to find and I'm going at this a little backward. It is not likely a ground problem since they don't share a common grounding point. They do share a fuse and a splice in common but different connectors. I'd try removing the connectors and re-seating them. It is not likely the splice since several wires branch off at that point. It could be a high resistance short caused by a rub through, check where wires pass through or could rub on metal. You also have a pass through connector on the fire wall for the main harness. That connector sometimes becomes corroded causing freaky problems, disconnect it and check for burns or corrosion and then, if it looks good re-seat it.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
C

cory1014

Cory1014
Reaction score
Problems like these are not easy to find and I'm going at this a little backward. It is not likely a ground problem since they don't share a common grounding point. They do share a fuse and a splice in common but different connectors. I'd try removing the connectors and re-seating them. It is not likely the splice since several wires branch off at that point. It could be a high resistance short caused by a rub through, check where wires pass through or could rub on metal. You also have a pass through connector on the fire wall for the main harness. That connector sometimes becomes corroded causing freaky problems, disconnect it and check for burns or corrosion and then, if it looks good re-seat it.
Good luck,

thanks a lot. i'll check that out this weekend and let you know how it goes.

benboy17

Reaction score
Just had the same problem with mine last week and changed out the TP sensor (Throttle position). everything works fine now and its easy to do. Hope this helps.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Whether cold or hot when I stop at a stop sign or red light in drive my rpm and battery amp gauges will jump/drop every so often. I know this has to be an electricle problem some where I just can't seem to pin point it. Also when i shift into reverse the two gauges will jump/drop and if i cut the wheel too much in reverse it will just shut off. I have not a clue what to check or what is happening. It never has problems starting and there isn't any hesitation when accelorating. any information would be great!!!
I assumed from your original post that the problem is only in the gauges and that the engine is not jumping around in RPM, correct?

OP
OP
C

cory1014

Cory1014
Reaction score
I assumed from your original post that the problem is only in the gauges and that the engine is not jumping around in RPM, correct?

Sorry I didn't think to put that the engine jumps with the rpm gauge as well as the battery gauge so would changing the TP sensor be the sollution?? I won't bs you I'm not sure what the TP sensor is or where it is located in my '93. I'm sure my dad does but just to be sure as much info as possable would be very helpful. Sorry again for the mix up.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't think to put that the engine jumps with the rpm gauge as well as the battery gauge so would changing the TP sensor be the sollution?? I won't bs you I'm not sure what the TP sensor is or where it is located in my '93. I'm sure my dad does but just to be sure as much info as possable would be very helpful. Sorry again for the mix up.
benboy17 probably has in nailed, fluctuating RPM could most definitely be the TPS. Attached picture of the location, look at the bottom of the picture between the number 3 and 4, then follow the line to the engine.

Good luck,

1995_Diagrams_013.jpg

benboy17

Reaction score
Its on the bottom of the throttle body. very easy to change. took me 30 min

Seabronc

Reaction score
I don't buy much of anything from Auto zone or Advance. Both have a reputation for bad parts right out of the box. Go to a professional auto parts store.

Good luck,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23