My Introduction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bebop Man

Reaction score
I'm new to the Bronco world, from the Black Hills of South Dakota. Just got this '86 in November, it was sitting on the lot for two years. 4 spd, 302 FI. Got it really cheap, and fired up as soon as I put in a charged battery. I did have to replace the pump / sending unit in the gas tank as it was all gunked up, but that's all it took to make it roadworthy.

It used to be a Homestake Mine vehicle, so it's pretty spartan on the inside.

So far, all I've done is minor things, like add a rearview mirror and a stereo system. I've been looking at adding some diamond plate in the back over the cardboard panels. That was today's project. I started with an 8x10' sheet of .058 aluminium diamond plate. That's enough to do both sides, and cover the tailgate access panel, plus make all new door and tailgate sills.

Before:

Left_ext_before.jpg

front_before.jpg

Right_before.jpg

Left_before.jpg

Inside_before.jpg

Can't see them from the front here, but I did add on a nice pair of tow hooks to the frame. I've got the best towing vehicle in the family, and I've had to use them a couple times. You can also see my quick and dirty speaker mountings. That's another thing I wanted to address when I redid the sides.

Tailgate_before.jpg

The inside of the tailgate is coated with Duplicolor Bedliner. It's fairly durable, but I do want to add some plate to this. At least replace the access cover, but I'm toying with idea of covering the whole thing in it.

Left_after.jpg

Left_after_2.jpg

Right_after.jpg

Right_after_2.jpg

Ok, the siding is in place. As you can see, I fabbed up some mounting for the subwoofer and the speakers. The rear speakers were too large to fit in the side panel like stock ones would, so I had to get creative. That's half the fun, right?

Ok, next on the agenda is new paint. I've got 3 gallons of Grizzly Grip (Rhino Liner clone) on the way, in forest green. That should cover all the sheet metel. I'll post more pics when that's done.

michibronc

Reaction score
I'm new to the Bronco world, from the Black Hills of South Dakota. Just got this '86 in November, it was sitting on the lot for two years. 4 spd, 302 FI. Got it really cheap, and fired up as soon as I put in a charged battery. I did have to replace the pump / sending unit in the gas tank as it was all gunked up, but that's all it took to make it roadworthy.

So far, all I've done is minor things, like add a rearview mirror and a stereo system. I've been looking at adding some diamond plate in the back over the cardboard panels. That was today's project. I started with an 8x10' sheet of .058 aluminium diamond plate. That's enough to do both sides, and cover the tailgate access panel, plus make all new door and tailgate sills.

Before:

Left_ext_before.jpg

front_before.jpg

Right_before.jpg

Left_before.jpg

Inside_before.jpg

Can't see them from the front here, but I did add on a nice pair of tow hooks to the frame. I've got the best towing vehicle in the family, and I've had to use them a couple times. You can also see my quick and dirty speaker mountings. That's another thing I wanted to address when I redid the sides.

Tailgate_before.jpg

The inside of the tailgate is coated with Duplicolor Bedliner. It's fairly durable, but I do want to add some plate to this. At least replace the access cover, but I'm toying with idea of covering the whole thing in it.

Left_after.jpg

Left_after_2.jpg

Right_after.jpg

Right_after_2.jpg

Ok, the siding is in place. As you can see, I fabbed up some mounting for the subwoofer and the speakers. The rear speakers were too large to fit in the side panel like stock ones would, so I had to get creative. That's half the fun, right?

Ok, next on the agenda is new paint. I've got 3 gallons of Grizzly Grip (Rhino Liner clone) on the way, in forest green. That should cover all the sheet metel. I'll post more pics when that's done.
That diamond plate looks flat out awesome! How did you layout the shape and what did you use to cut? How'd you attach it too? Man that looks great. I'm in the same boat, my cardboard in back is in the same shape yours was. That gives you a great place to mount speaks as well. Beautiful job!

ms_jetset

Redneck & The Bronco
Reaction score
I'm new to the Bronco world, from the Black Hills of South Dakota. Just got this '86 in November, it was sitting on the lot for two years. 4 spd, 302 FI. Got it really cheap, and fired up as soon as I put in a charged battery. I did have to replace the pump / sending unit in the gas tank as it was all gunked up, but that's all it took to make it roadworthy.Welcome to the world of obsessed Bronco owners. Seen this vehicle somewhere, don't remember though. Good luck with the work and enjoy.

Before:

Left_ext_before.jpg

front_before.jpg

Right_before.jpg

Left_before.jpg

Inside_before.jpg

Tailgate_before.jpg

Left_after.jpg

Left_after_2.jpg

Right_after.jpg

Right_after_2.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bebop Man

Reaction score
That diamond plate looks flat out awesome! How did you layout the shape and what did you use to cut? How'd you attach it too? Man that looks great. I'm in the same boat, my cardboard in back is in the same shape yours was. That gives you a great place to mount speaks as well. Beautiful job!
I pulled off the armrest and ashtrays, then removed that cardboard liner. I used them as patteres, tracing around the sheet of aluminum. I used a jigsaw and a power nibbler to cut around my lines.

I had also marked where the ***** holes in the liner were, then drilled them out afterwards. I put the liner back into place, and used the diamond plate over it, keeping the liner for insulation / sound deadening.

michibronc

Reaction score
I pulled off the armrest and ashtrays, then removed that cardboard liner. I used them as patteres, tracing around the sheet of aluminum. I used a jigsaw and a power nibbler to cut around my lines.
I had also marked where the ***** holes in the liner were, then drilled them out afterwards. I put the liner back into place, and used the diamond plate over it, keeping the liner for insulation / sound deadening.
Very cool. Thanks for the info. How much was the diamond plate? Do the speakers that you put in seem to rattle the metal much?

OP
OP
B

Bebop Man

Reaction score
Very cool. Thanks for the info. How much was the diamond plate? Do the speakers that you put in seem to rattle the metal much?
a 4x10' sheet cost me $118.00. I also used some of it to make a new access cover for the tailgate, and I'll fab all new sill plates all around, too.

The speakers don't rattle at all. I have them in the almost-stock location. The frames I built out of particleboard because my existing 6x9's were too deep for the stock location. That was the other reason i left the cardboard liner in place, to cut down on any rattling.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK