Sometimes ya just gotta laugh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
I was just out pulling the driveshaft so I could pull the xfer case so I can swap in my new(old) tranny. Now maybe someone here can enlighten me because the post 87' Bronco's are really not my forte' and I've never had one with auto hubs much less an auto xfer case. When I hop in the truck there are two large rectangular buttons to the right of the steering wheel. The upper says "4x4" & the lower says "Low Range" and with the auto hubs, silly a$$ that I am I've been figuring it to have the electric shift BW1356 transfer case. I mean, wouldn't you ? Now I've noticed that pushing those silly buttons doesn't do jack, no lights come on, nothing makes any noises, nothing at all. So again, being foolish I figure there's probably a problem with the electric shift since the freaking thing is a basket case anyways (well, aren't *most* $400 trucks ? I really only bought the thing to build with my sons & give to my oldest in another couple yrs when he starts tooling around). As per one of the other threads someone mentioned that the electric 1356's had a square 3/8" hole in the case so it could be shifted manually if the electrics died. Soooo, I'm under there just now with my worklights looking for this supposed manual shift hole and I'm not finding anything. Nothing at all, nada, zip, zilch. So I take a moment to start looking at it a little more closely wanting to know where the electric shift motor is. Can't find that either. Hmmmmm. I get out another light to brighten the situation and keep looking. My attention is now drawn to the very mechanical looking linkage that seems to have a shift arm attached to it running up to a hole in the transmission tunnel. This is odd, I've certainly never seen it before. Grab the linkage and follow it back to the transfer case & then back to the hole in the floor and damn if this doesn't LOOK for all the world like a manual transfer case as seen from underneath. I slide the creeper out & open the door to take another look in the cab because, hey, maybe I've just never *noticed* a big transfer case shifter sitting on my floor. Nope, no xfer case shifter there and the electric buttons are still there on the dash where I remembered them being. Ok, put the beer down & get back on the creeper to take another look. Yeah, just like before there's NO electric *anything* bolted to the case and there's still that same mechanical looking shift linkage going to the hole in the floor that I can see from down here but NOT from up top. So I'm back out from under and looking in the cab again and this time I probe the carpet right about where I think the hole is. Sure enough there IS a freaking hole there, it's just covered by the carpet which for some odd reason does NOT have a cut-out in it NOR does it have a shifter sticking out of it. Pick up my beer again & pull back the carpet and yup, there's the hole & there's the manual shift linkage, just no shifter. Oh wait, where's that box of junk the guy tossed in the back when I picked it up. He put a dead old battery in there for me to use as a core when I bought my new battery and there was some other crap in there wasn't there ?!? So I find the box and Lo & behold there's a shifter & boot in there. So I hack a quick hole in the carpet and take a few moments (well, ok, it really took closer to a few beers) and now PRESTO, I have a manual shift BW1356 in my truck. I'm just *waiting* for the wife to come home so I can brag about what an amazingly talented mechanic I've become.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Broncobill78

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Unfortunately, no. There are two completely seperate transfer cases the electric shift & the manual shift. If you want to swap from one to the other you have to change the *entire* transfer case as well as adding all the electric controls if you're swapping TO an electric shift. What happened with me is that my truck was *originally* an electric shift Bronco with the auto hubs and an electric shift Xfer case, that's why the hubs are there AND I have the 4x4 & Low-Range buttons on my dash. At some point along the way some previous owner swapped in a manual shift xfer case and I assume he used it as such. Later on in it's life *another* previous owner (or ****, might have been the same pinhead for all I know, the last guy to own it was a real piece of work. You have to remember that this truck has a bullet hole in the windshield from when a prev. owner took a shot at his wife from *inside* the cab. The shot was from close range & there are powder burns all around the hole as well as melted laminate. He's currently doing time for attempted homicide & I bought the truck dirt cheap, Sooo, I guess I shouldn't be surprised at anything I find along the way) went and changed the carpet but for some strange reason decided not to cut the hole for the shifter and just left it off with the xfer case in 2WD.

It had a manual transfer case the whole time, I just never knew it because someone before me had swapped out the electric xfer case for the manual one and then either the same guy or a different owner put in the new carpet & never replaced the shifter AND since the buttons were still on the dash from when it was originally an electric shift truck. I was just sitting there pushing them, wondering why nothing was happening & trying to troubleshoot the damn thing without realizing that none of the electrics were even there anymore and the buttons weren't *connected* to anything.

It really makes you wonder what's going thru the minds of some of these freaking wingnuts.

Seabronc

Reaction score
so ur saying all the electric shift ones have this and all thats needed to make it manuel is a shifter?
I don't think so :unsure: . More like someone swapped out the electric shift one for a manual shift one.

Good story Bill OOOOPS Dave :D/

:)>-

2NDTOUR89

Reaction score
Hey, I got an idea, why not take your cool looking switches on the dash and make them "NOSS" switches....

OP
OP
Broncobill78

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Oh jeez man, this is just never gonna go away now is it ? <grin> I'll be posting pics of the custom leather interior I install in my next 78/79 and someone's gonna ask me where the Noss buttons are right ? There are simply times when no good deed goes unpunished.

bryan thomas

Reaction score
Oh jeez man, this is just never gonna go away now is it ? <grin> I'll be posting pics of the custom leather interior I install in my next 78/79 and someone's gonna ask me where the Noss buttons are right ? There are simply times when no good deed goes unpunished.
Bill that was pretty damn funny. I'm no bronco mechanic (in fact I'm a carpenter), but my girlfriends dad is and he tells me some stories about what he sees at the Ford dealership. That is one I can probably make him laugh at. Happy New Years buddy.

wtfdissux

Reaction score
had to read that to the wife as she wanted to know what I was laughing at and after she was done laughing ( and she can't drive let alone tell you how to start a car due to disability and knows about as much on cars as I do about being a brain surgeon) with a completely straight face asked me why you let my brother work on your truck :blink:

OP
OP
Broncobill78

Broncobill78

Reaction score
had to read that to the wife as she wanted to know what I was laughing at and after she was done laughing ( and she can't drive let alone tell you how to start a car due to disability and knows about as much on cars as I do about being a brain surgeon) with a completely straight face asked me why you let my brother work on your truck :blink:
Well DAMN, you tell him to *start* signing his work and I'll *stop* buying it. Fair enuf ? Neither one of us needs this bull$hit. At least YOUR wife is laughing, mine just wants me to stop throwing beer cans at the truck.

WPW Bronco

Reaction score
That was a great example of "WHAT THE F#@K!!" Having built a number of Hillbilly monster creations and having worked on a number of others, this is not the first story like that I've seen but it is a refreshing reminder of the garage genius's we have working on their vehicles today!

Thanks for brightening our days and reminding us that we are not that bad off.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK