Won't Restart After Warm-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hogg

Reaction score
I have a 84 Bronco with a 300 straight 6. I recently had the carburator replaced to correct some starting problems. The new carburato works great but another problem has popped up. The truck starts great when cold but after warming up to operating temp. it will not start again if turned off until completely cooled down. I have replace the distributor pick-up, coil, distributor, and new plug wires and nothing seems to work. :huh:

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a new starter. The heat is getting to the starter solonoid by the sounds of it. Does it click when you try to start? Try tapping the side of the starter motor with a hammer when its hot and not starting to see if the solonoid releases. This only works a few times and must be replaced soon.

Do you have a heat shield on it? Call a few guys that rebuild starters, its much cheaper. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Shadow_D

Reaction score
I hope it is what Broncoholics says but if you have replaced the distributor and such it sounds like it is cranking.

If that is the case then I am afraid your problem is more serious, you may have a hairline crack in the head that opens up enough when hot and will not allow it to start till it cools.

I had this problem in a 83 ****** that we ended up junking.

broncoshell

Reaction score
I would have to agree with you also, i had an 84 that when it got hot it would vapor lock. would not start till it cool. when you put the carb on you may have mashed the fuel line on the block or head. something else to check. good luck!

OP
OP
H

Hogg

Reaction score
It appears that I may have gotten a falty distributor pick-up. I will also check for the cracked head. Is there a way to tell if it is cracked without pulling the head?

BLUEovalBELIEVER

Reaction score
what is you truck doing when it won't start?no spark?no gas?no comp?

next time you start it and it won't start back up you check to see if you are getting spark and gas and that will help narrow it down.

you could do a comp test on it but if it starts and runs good i doubt it's a cracked head

OP
OP
H

Hogg

Reaction score
After it cuts off it doesn't get a spark. When it cools down and cranks it runs real good until it cuts out. Just replaced the pick-up coil and brainbox. Testing now--has been running for over an hour without problems. That's longer than normal for the cutout to happen. Was told by a mech. that I may have to replace the pigtail on the harness because it has some old oil soaked in it.

OP
OP
H

Hogg

Reaction score
Still having same problem. New mechanic told me that the wiring for the brain was shot. He recommended that I change the distributor to an all points type and bypass the electronics. Any discussions for or against. :wacko:

stinger

Reaction score
my dad had this prob with his 300 6cyl took about 10 times of replacing pickups and control boxes before it was fixed. personally if you dont mind doing the points it is definitly reliable and works great

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23