Will Not Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

citybroncosf

Reaction score
hey folks.

i am new to the sight so bair with me here.

i have a 1979 bronco xlt, the other day when i went to fire it up i turned the key and nothing happened. nothing at all. i looked down to find that i didn't have the thing in park.. good thing i was on level ground.

ok. i gues, good little safty measure for not starting it in reverse.

well the other day i went to start it up and nothing. i look down to see it is in park but come nothing. i know that this could be a whole lot of things so first i try the easy thing. put it in gear then back to park, starts write up.

hmmmm.

well yesterday i go to start her up and once again nothing, put it in and out of gear, and still no start. no clicking from a weak charge to the starter, lots of power in the system, no fuses out. i crawl under my rig and find that there is some kind of switch that is hooked to the back side of the lincage going into the trainy. there doesn't seem to be any visible breaks in the line, and the plug at the other end, going into the cab, looks good.

well because it was in a tow away zone and i have racked up enough parking tickets to put a good dent in our national deficet. started it up by running the starter cable off the positive battery terminal. fired up with no problems and ran great, until i parked, turned it off. trided to start it, turned the key and nothing...

does anyone have any idea of something i might have missed, if not does anyone know where i can get that swicht for the trainy lincage.

help, winter is coming and i love playing in the mud. :wacko:

STLKIKN

Reaction score
Try adjusting the neutral safety switch before you give up on it.

Loosen the two bolts that hold it to the trans.

Apply the e-brake.

Put trans in neutral.

There is a small hole in the side of the switch, you will need to insert a drill bit through this hole (#43 drill bit is recommended in the manual) push the drill in at least 1/2 inch.

Tighten the two bolts up remove the bit and try to start the truck.

Last edited by a moderator:

tnvol76

Reaction score
If you dont want to spend the cash you can jumper the wire from the neutral safety switch till you can get one that is what I did for a couple of weeks it just bypasses it and Jeff's Bronco grave yard was the cheapest place to get a new one they are on the web

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gryph