Using 351w Cyl Heads On A 302 Block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sewerrat

Reaction score
I have a 74 Bronco with a 302 that needs upper head work. Someone suggested to me that the 302 head was not the best breather and said to find a set of 351w heads. Can anyone tell me if these head are a direct bolt on to the 302 and what type of intake can be used ? Will the cooling passages line up?

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Hello the answer is yes they will bolt right on because tha only difference in them is the size of the head bolt hole . 302 is 7/16 and 351W is 1/2 . The edelbrock aluminum heads you buy have 1/2 holes in them and when used on a 302 theres a special step washer that necks it down to 7/16 . The important part is the shape and size of the combustion chamber . If you take a set of heads off like an 1980 302 outta a truck and then outta a 1980 351w outta a truck and lay them side by side you will see no difference other than the headbolt hole size . The combustion chamber in these is very big and looks like a half circle not good for performance but good for emmisions . Now you take a set of heads from a 1986 5.0 ** which was geared more for performance then you will find it looks like a heart shape and is much tighter . The heart shape directs the fuel charge more toward the spark plug causeing much more efficient burn and a bit higher compression ratio . Sorry for not haveing the actual CC,s but im at work and dont have access to the info right now . Bolting these heads on any 302 or 351w ( have to drill the head bolt holes to 1/2 inch ) Will cause a very noticable increase in power and responce. Hope this helps if you want pics let me know cause I have a set of each of these heads in the garage right now . Also have a set of 19old heads from a 289 they have a very very tight combustion chamber with a **** in it. Guy I got it from said they were good for drag racing but wouldnt do too good off pump gas because of the high compression ratio . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23