Trans Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redneckpunk

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my current trans (E4OD)

and its way too expensive to replace it or rebuild it

can i replace it wiyh a AOD since the transfercase is all electric

and it is controlled by switches and not a lever i dont think a c-6

will work (I could be mistaken) plz let me know what what if anything can i replace it with thanks guys and girls

P.S. love the site its amazing

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Yes, the E4OD is very expensive to overhaul compared to other autos. My opinion, but if you want to swap to a better auto tranny, forget about the AOD and go for the C-6. Granted, you will not have the option of overdrive (OD), but you will have a tranny that will be more reliable and "bullet-proof" than the OD models. I'm speaking from experience on the earlier-model E4OD, prior to 1991. It seems to me that the later-model E4OD from 92-96 had some upgrades that made them a more relaible offering from Ford. If you have that, perhaps an overhaul should be considered.

I am somewhat biased against computer-controlled systems like the E4OD, so if you swap in an AOD or C6 you will have to "fool" the ECM to get the shift points right.I think this qualifies as a major mod, so if you ever sell the Bronco, you should inform the buyer of what you've done.

Also, if you are doing this, you will want to swap transfer cases to the B-W 1356 manual shift or the earlier NP208/NP205. The push-button electric shift B-W can give you fits, and if you are swapping trannies you should swap t-cases for the best model available. Main difference is in the shifter linkage, but the t-case swap is compatible with any of the auto trannies.

Last edited by a moderator:

dicain

Reaction score
fix the e4od and get the updates for the tranny. the drop in rpms will keep you from spending even more time at the pump and save you money in the long run! $2.08 gal ouch!

OP
OP
redneckpunk

redneckpunk

Reaction score
i would love too but thats a lot of cheese to be puttin in one spot 1500-1800 just too have it rebuilt just lookin for a resonably inexpensive way to get it back on the road . even if its just till i can get the E4OD fixed

B)

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Well heres a couple other things to look at . 1 the E4OD is a mile long therefore switching to any other tranny is going to cause you to have the front drive shaft shortened and the rear lengthend . So you have the cost of that . Also the 4 wheel drive shifter is special for these if you look on the arm that goes from the tranny mounted shifter to the transfercase lever youll see it says E4OD right on it . so youll either have to fabricate another one or buy one so the cost is adding up here and also what shape is the new tranny anyway would **** to go through all this and find out first trip out that it slips when warmed up or it blows chunks on ya . I just put a C6 in where a AOD was and i had the same problems luckily I had an 84 3/4 ton ford that had a 351 with a c6 so I had driveshaft that was the correct length and I had a 79 F250 that the front driveshaft is the same as the rear in the 89 bronco except it was about 2 inches longer than the bronco one so that saved me there . And I was able to get all the shifter linkages off that truck for the bronco also . So the only cheap way out for ya is if you have a donor truck that has a known good tranny and you can get all the brackets and linkages off of it . Believe me I know how it is to want to get something going but your time is worth money too and you might as well do it right the first time . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

J

James Martinez

>:) Whats gone on 4x4 brothers. I'm new to the brotherhood and need some info. I have a 92 F-150 with a 302, and am in the process of converting it to a straight axle, complements of Fabritech. I bought a 78 F-100, for the axle, and now have a bag of goodies which consist of a 351M, C6 tranny, NP205 T-case, and a 9 inch rear.

>:) I want to use the C6 tranny, NP205 T-case, and the 9 inch rear end. but want to keep the EFI system that the 92 use's, instead of going to a carburated engine. Would it be a big problem if I just disconneced the E40D, ABS from the computer crap under the dash, and still use the EFI.

:-B Can the 78, C6 mate with the current 92, 302 engine, or will I have to use the 351 off the 78, and aquire a 351 EFI system from a 90-96, use the intake, and exhaust manifold to fit on the 351 that does mate with the C6. b-(

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Blade262US, very good post, I learned from that!

JamesM, I think if you just unplug the E4OD harness from the tranny, the engine won't run, since the ECM operates both at once. It is possible to "trick" the ECM into thinking the E4OD is still there and swap in the '78 drivetrain. You will have to address speed density, RABS, and other issues. Best info on that is at FullsizeBronco.com, just do a search for the E4OD and drivetrain swap. If I run across a good thread over there, I'll put up a link over here, too!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23