Torque Conerter And Flywheel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sreaminbronco

Reaction score
I need a new flywheel and torque converter for my 92' bronco but i dont know what kind to get. :wacko:

OP
OP
S

sreaminbronco

Reaction score
well my friends camaro slid offroad and he called me pull him out so i got there and we hooked up some chains and i locked the hubs and put it in 4x4 low and he put it in reverse and when i gased it nothing happened neither one of us budged and with his car at about one ton i thought something had to be wrong so i took it to a local mechanic and he said its the torque converter or fly wheel so i was gonna replace both and save the time money and trouble.

Traffic

Reaction score
Ouch...

I would definitely be careful with that shop...

Your fly wheel doesn't do anything but give the starter something to turn in order to start you engine - and with an automatic transmission it is actually a flex-plate (fly wheel is for standard transmissions)...

A torque converter - to my knowledge (and, I am not an expert in this) will pretty much work or not... theoretically, it could be the culprit for loss of power - but, usually something will break in the torque converter when they go bad - and that, you will definitely know when it happens...

Are you experiencing any loss of power on acceleration or hill climbing...?

Pony-boy

That's not a dent, It's a gift from the t
Reaction score
Sound like you tranny is slipping or you are low on fluid.

As for your mechanic. Smack him with a torque wrench

next time you see him and tell him to go back to school.

If your Torque converter is bad you will know it.

You could also have an electrical problem with a short

with the computer telling/putting you tranny in a false

neutral.

Bring it to a real tranny shop and let them work with it prior to buying anything

gregor

gregor
Reaction score
on my 90 bronco when it is cold outside sometimes it is hard to start, it sounds like the starter is not catching at all and it makes a noise that i can't even begin to describe. someone told me that it might be the flex-plate, does that sound right to anyone?

BLADE262US

Reaction score
If the teeth are messed up on the flexplate it will cause the starter to make a **** of a noise because your grinding the gear teeth off . As for the other part of this post you mechanic is an idiot and was obviously getting ready to break out the KY on ya . Did you check to make sure the Tcase didnt get put in nuetral by some chance. A quick way to check is to start it put in gear to get the shafts spinning in the t case and then put in park if you hear a grinding clicking noise your t case is in neutral . This happens because when you put it in gear the transmission started spinning the input shaft to the T case and when you put it in park the T case is still free wheelin so the park pawl is clicking or grinding in and out of its detents . If it is in gear check your tranny over a 92 should have an E4OD and that is totally electronic controlled . So If it comes unplugged it will slip really bad in drive but it will move under full line pressure if the gear selector is put into 1st or 2nd gear and if its in one of these gears it will function without a computer hooked to it at all. I did have one E4OD that was fried sooooo bad that no matter what gear you put it in even reverse it would go forward . Hope that helps :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23