Tailgate Window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbickell49

Reaction score
I need to get to my tailgate wireing harness, but I cant get the window down to put the tailgate down. Is there any way to manually put down the window or any aternate ways to access the tailgate wireing harness

Ktomek06

Reaction score
try opening the panel and see if you can do anything.. :mellow:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
First, remove the access panel on the inside of the tailgate. If you can get 12v power to the connector wires to the window motor, it should roll down if the motor is still working. If it's not, you can unbolt the glass channel at the bottom where it attaches to the regulator (4 bolts). Put some zipties or tie the two regulator arms in the up position before doing this, or they will snap down with great force when you take off the glass. Check the wiring to see if it's broken anywhere inside the tailgate. You can also try pushing on the tg from outside while trying the keyswitch or someone tries the dash switch. There is a safety feature that will not let the glass down if the tg is not closed properly. Worn or misaligned striker bolts are the cause of this, or a bad switch. Just be careful not to break the glass, and watch those fingers!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
J

jbickell49

Reaction score
thanks a bunch for the tips going to try them now. I have a 90 bronco XLT

Shadow_D

Reaction score
90 Bronco, that's easy.

The safety feature / limit switch justshootme84 is talking about is a 2 wire plug between the switch and motor. Look for that, it has a tan wire with a black stripe & a red wire with a yellow stripe. This should be the first thing you check. Unplug this plug from the key switch, then take a small wire and and jumper the plug (connect the two wires). That will close the circuit making the system think the tailgate is fully closed. Then you can try the key in the back and / or switch in front. If this fixes the problem then you need to readjust the latch mechanism on the tailgate or just tape the jumper wire in the plug but be warned, this will allow the window to operate with the tailgate open or closed.

If the window still doesn't move then take a volt meter and check for power at the switch. First find the black wire with a white stripe, this should be hot.

If it is hot then you most likely have a bad motor.

If it is dead and you have power door locks, are they working? If not then replace the 30A breaker in the #12 position in the fuse panel. If they are then the wire is broke somewhere between the fuse and tailgate.

Take a long wire and run it from the positive terminal of the battery to the tailgate and hook it up to the black wire with the white stripe. You should now be able to open the back window with the KEY switch only. Now remove the wire you just hooked up to the battery and start tracing the broken wire / wires with a volt meter.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you make out and if you need more help.

Darrin

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
That's really good stuff!!! If you do get the tailgate open, the wires often get pinched and broken right where they go into the tailgate. You can also remove the driver's side taillight lens to get to the wiring, but the tg needs to be open to remove it.

OP
OP
J

jbickell49

Reaction score
easy fix after 4 weeks of not working i go to try these tips and like magic it has power. put tailgate down fixed wires in harness. like brand new. thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Bradt

Reaction score
If it's not, you can unbolt the glass channel at the bottom where it attaches to the regulator (4 bolts). Put some zipties or tie the two regulator arms in the up position before doing this, or they will snap down with great force when you take off the glass.
2360[/snapback]

Zip ties won't be nearly strong enough to keep those arms from snapping into position.

Don't the springs pull up to counter the weight of the glass? It's been a while since I looked, but I could swear they do.

Brad

I edited my other post out since I just realized that this was for a window up, and what I said only applied if the gate was opened.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat