Smog Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VegasBronco

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got an '89 with a new 5.0 that I put in over Thanksgiving. I'm trying to register it and I have to get it smogged. My problem is that The CO% is at 3.0% idleing and it needs to be at 1.20. Then at 2250 RPM it's at around 7%. I've also noticed that it misses once it hits 65 on the freeway. I've got fresh plugs gapped to spec, new O2 sensor, new thermostat (mechanic's suggestion) and I just hit 2,000 past my last oil change. I run Union 76 Premium gas. I just don't know. I've thought maybe a new distributor or ignition coil for the higher RPM problem. Any suggestions would help. THANKS!

207racing

Reaction score
Could be the fuel pressure regulator, if that leaks it lets full pressure to your injectors all the time. If it is leaking just a little bit you may not notice, the presure would be just slightly increased. Have you plugged in a testor to the eec to see if you are getting any codes?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Did it origonaly have a 5.0 in it? If not, your computer may be trying to read it as the other motor and causing the problems.

OP
OP
V

VegasBronco

Reaction score
I think I fixed it. It did originally have a 5.0. I was talkin with a friend and he confirmed my thoughts. changed out the distributor. Was just gonna do the pick up coil, but it was gonna be way too much work and the other dist was only $30 more. I took it out on the freeway last night after I finished and haven't stopped smilin since. I don't remember it running this well in 2-3 years! Thanks for all you rinput though! It goes for smog later today.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23