Short story - Taillights shorted, where's the breaker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gryph

Reaction score
1996 Eddie Bauer 5L
Short story -
I have inadvertently shorted my taillights and can not find a fuse. There seems to be no reference to tail lights in the owners manual other than Power distribution box #4 and Relay 4. Both of those refer to trailer towing (which is where I started this adventure) Where can I find a fuse or other breaker for my taillights?

Long version -
When I went to check the boat out for the season I had no lights at all. I rewired the trailer with #14awg as it was in need after years of splices here and there. Once I got everything grounded properly I still had no trailer taillights. Now rather than thinking it over I started working the problem at the seven pin connector rather than the fuse. I found no taillight on the connector. I next moved up to the connection from the Bronco to the seven pin connector. I hoped to just replace that part but it has been difficult to find. It is a harness with two connectors going to the seven pin. Top seems to be for trailer brakes, back up lights etc. The lower part has turn signals and I assume taillights. At this point it dawned on me that I was an idiot and should have checked the fuses. First time through the book I only found the Relay4 which I replaced. That didn't do shit as it was the fuse #4 that had blown. (dooh) The fuse was probably the problem to start with. Well once I replaced the fuse I still have no trailer taillights. Then I had the brilliant idea to just take power off of the license plate light, and that is where I managed to short the whole thing out.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to resolve the issue I would be very grateful.

TIA Gryph

Attachments

• IMG_20240526_080533174.jpg
    IMG_20240526_080533174.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240526_080547255.jpg
    IMG_20240526_080547255.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240526_080645958.jpg
    IMG_20240526_080645958.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 1

johnnyreb

Reaction score
1996 Eddie Bauer 5L
Short story -
I have inadvertently shorted my taillights and can not find a fuse. There seems to be no reference to tail lights in the owners manual other than Power distribution box #4 and Relay 4. Both of those refer to trailer towing (which is where I started this adventure) Where can I find a fuse or other breaker for my taillights?

Long version -
When I went to check the boat out for the season I had no lights at all. I rewired the trailer with #14awg as it was in need after years of splices here and there. Once I got everything grounded properly I still had no trailer taillights. Now rather than thinking it over I started working the problem at the seven pin connector rather than the fuse. I found no taillight on the connector. I next moved up to the connection from the Bronco to the seven pin connector. I hoped to just replace that part but it has been difficult to find. It is a harness with two connectors going to the seven pin. Top seems to be for trailer brakes, back up lights etc. The lower part has turn signals and I assume taillights. At this point it dawned on me that I was an idiot and should have checked the fuses. First time through the book I only found the Relay4 which I replaced. That didn't do shit as it was the fuse #4 that had blown. (dooh) The fuse was probably the problem to start with. Well once I replaced the fuse I still have no trailer taillights. Then I had the brilliant idea to just take power off of the license plate light, and that is where I managed to short the whole thing out.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to resolve the issue I would be very grateful.

TIA Gryph
Well I would start with the tail light fuse--and check for a inline fuse. Most of the time they are located close to the light. Then the lire last. More then likely you have blown a fuse.

OP
OP
G

Gryph

Reaction score
I would start with the taillight fuse too. If I could find it. Any idea why it is not listed in the owners manual or any other source? Well, none that I can find at least.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I would start with the taillight fuse too. If I could find it. Any idea why it is not listed in the owners manual or any other source? Well, none that I can find at least.
Look up under the dash on the drivers side--in the corner.

OP
OP
G

Gryph

Reaction score
Thanks Johnny.
I had found both Power Distribution Panel and the under dash Fuse Panel. I found the fuse. It is again #4 but under dash and is referred to as "exterior lamps". That got the tail lights back on. Haven't had time to check if I have trailer tail lights yet ...

OP
OP
G

Gryph

Reaction score
Now if anyone knows where I can find a F5TB-13A576-A which is the wiring harness, I would be grateful. Ford likes the 13a576# but there are a few hundred variations and even the AI can not find the specific part.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Try Green sales out of Ohio. Just type in Green Sales in your address bar and hit enter. They are good to deal with --have people to answer their phone and they have alot of old new parts. Give then a call.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
68bronc