Rusty Old Bronco Needs Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83Bronco

Reaction score
Hi, i just bought a rusty 1983 Bronco, someone tried to cover up the rust on the body outside....but t hats not my concern just yet. The floor has actually rusted through in several areas. Right under the parking brake, along the edge in the rear on the passenger side, and where you step up into the truck on the passenger side. Also the whole tailgate is completely rusted out. I really know nothing about Broncos and i dont know anything about body repair(just engines) how can i fix these rust holes? I have to get this ready to drive in the michigan UP this winter. if i cant get it fixed i will just have to sell it.... :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . Also i need help replacing the tailgate and window. And putting in a rear seat. oh yea and one of the window vents needs to be replaced.... ahhh i think someone mistreated this poor truck very badly. so yea i hope some one has some help for a clueless girl. thanks!!!!

~Sarah

Raven

Reaction score
some of it you can buy part to replace some it will be just as easy to majke them ..

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
83Bronco, first off welcome to BroncoZone.com!!! The bestest and proper way to fix rust is to replace the infected area with new metal, either by replacing the entire panel or welding in a patch. If that is beyond your skills, you can cover the floor holes with sheetmetal pieces cut to fit and attach them with screws and/or fiberglass to the good metal. It won't be pretty and the rust will continue to spread, but Bondo or other body fillers will only hide rust and not cure it. Contrary to popular belief, Bondo will not hold to air! If you try to cover a hole, it will crack and fall out and the hole is still there. You can use the expanding foam that comes in a can to fill a hole, then cover with the Bondo. That will last up to a year. Just don't use a sign off of the side of the road. The metal is the right thickness for floor repairs. The vent windows are very difficult to remove, as is the HEAVY tailgate. You can find used body panels at a salvage yard for much less than new ones. I hope you can save the Bronco, mine wasn't pretty when I started!!!

OP
OP

83Bronco

Reaction score
hey thanks for your suggestions. I am still in highschool actaully, and I take an auto class. So i think we might try welding in sheetmetal. I found a tailgate from a 91 at a salvage yard...i havent gone to see it yet. Hopefully all will work out. I know i will have many more problems to come also. I am so poor too!!! working at a grocery store just doesnt cut it! thanks again

~sarah

Justshootme84

Reaction score
High school auto mechanics class is a great place to learn how to do the work on the Bronco, plus you have lots of help!!! And you are not poor if you drive a Ford Bronco!!! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Whenever you go to a salvage yard looking for parts, don't let them see you coming. In other words, don't let them take advantage of your lack of knowledge about different parts, prices, etc. If they ask for $100 for the tailgate, pull $60 out of your pocket and say that is all you brought. Learn to bargain and "horsetrade", and find a yard person that will work with you. I have one that I visit often near Austin, and we talk about hog hunting, fishing, whatever, before actually looking for a part. He knows me and my dad, and will give me a part for free or very little cost. I also refer my friends to him for more business. I ran into a local wrecker driver one day when my battery died and the dude was jumpstarting a car nearby. I got him to help me, talked about Broncos, and found the 88 at his yard for dirt cheap. He was glad to get rid of it, and I got a great deal.

OP
OP

83Bronco

Reaction score
Hey, yea. The class is good, and so is my teacher. It is hard though being one of 2 girls in a class of thirty. They like to make fun of my vehicles (my last was an 88 ranger) I know im going to get ripped on for this bronco, im almost afraid to bring it in.

One salvage yard has a tailgate on a 91, ,which they are offering me for 200... is that alot? b/c it has the window and all the hardware in it.

o yea i took pictures of all my pretty air vents (rust holes) i will put them up soon

this site is great for me!

~sarah :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP

83Bronco

Reaction score
Heres the pics of my rust holes... The first one is on the front left right where the drivers feet goes. IT is BIG. the other ones are on the passenger side right along the wall behind the seat and before the wheel well. There are also two in the back corners, and the other pic is right at where the door shuts.

bronco_pics_005.jpg

OP
OP

83Bronco

Reaction score
heres the one behind the pass seat. yuck!! This is why michigan sucks, there is SOO much salt!

bronco_pics_015.jpg

OP
OP

83Bronco

Reaction score
Dont step there! you might break it...(is there a way to post more then one pic on a page?

bronco_pics_014.jpg

streamborn

Reaction score
DON"T give up on that Bronco! I own an 83 f-150 4x4 and it is the best truck that I have ever owned ( I hope that it didn't hear that or it is sure to give me grief)! I live in northern Arizona and we have no problem with rust. There is a place in Phoenix called Arizona 4x4 recylers that can help you on good rust-free parts. 1-800-829-5337 B)

james50cal

Reaction score
The hardest part about changing your vent window is removing the door panel. So that pretty much means it is really easy. All you do is roll the window down, take off the door panel, remove one ***** behind the door panel that goes into the window rail, then there are two more screws ontop of the vent window on the door, and then just pull it out (the front window rail and the frame around the vent window) and put the new one in. This is all asuming that you get the doner from an 80-86. The window itself will fit from up to a 92 but that is were it gets difficult.

Justshootme84

Reaction score
83Bronco, have you seen the commercial for WyoTech, where the girl comes up to two dudes playing basketball, and shows them a picture of an old Ford truck (1950?) with a flamed paint job and such and says, "I worked on it"???

Anyway, that is some serious rust on the floorpan. You can buy new panels to weld in place of the rusted ones, but you will prolly spend at least a few hundred bucks doing that. You can find another Bronco or Ford truck and cut the good sections out of it and use those, or you can find some bare sheetmetal and cut that to fit over the holes. Even an old piece of tin, like you see on an old barn or chicken shed can be made to fit. Some tin shears, a hammer to flatten it out, and if you want to get fancy you can pop rivet the panels in place. Or just drill holes in the good metal and secure the patch panel with screws. I did this to an old Chevy Blazer, and my neighbor did that in some spots on his 85 Bronco. Only problem you may have is if any of the frame supports or crossmembers are rusted also. I would venture to guess that those are. Again you can buy new ones for the floor and cab supports, or get some out of a used truck.

If you are serious about fixxing this thing up in auto mech class, and your teacher is willing to let y'all learn on it, I can send you a few parts from my 88 Bronco if you absolutely cannot find them closer or they cost too much. I can cut a piece or two from the floor and a frame support here and there. Any donations to cover shipping will be acceptable, but not a must. I can't help you on the rear seat since it's not in that great a shape, but the floor area is rust-free.

It would be awesome to do a tech write-up on this as work is performed!!!

OP
OP

83Bronco

Reaction score
YEa, i dont think i am up for spending tha tmuch if i dont have to. I was going to try the sheet metal approach. Any old Bronco around here seems to have rusty old floors just like mine. Im not actaully sure what a frame support or cross section is. My Chassi is not rusted through, but some of the bushing and washers are bad, and one is completely gone in the rear. The bad rust all just seems to be on the floor in the corners, on the edges by the wheel wells, and anyplace with openings (even around the holes where the sticks come thru the floor!!) My auto teacher likes the truck and says that the engine is great and will last forever if i keep the o il changed. WE lubed it up, and changed the oil, then we checked all the brakes. One of the rear ones was covered in grease. So i have a leak in my rear axle, ,and i am going to replace the seal tommorow, and some gasket, along with the brake shoes... as for the rust.... i dont even know where to start. I will let you k now if i need anything shipped. Thanks alot for offering your help, i really appreciate it. This is why i joined this site!! ever yone is so nice. And no i havent seen that commercial... but all the guys in the class say the bronco is too big and i shouldnt be driving it!! i think i will do some type of write up

~Sarah :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Justshootme84

Reaction score
As I mentioned before, get the"mechanical's" working first, then you can tackle the rust/body work. Your teacher sounds cool if he likes the Bronco!!! Don't let the dudes in class get to you, or I'll have to come up there. And I will bring Stone Cold Steve Austin with me (he lives close by in Victoria, TX) to stomp a mudhole in'em and walk it dry!!!

How much time do you have left in the semester, 6-8 weeks? That is not enough time for one person, but 20-30 working all at once can easily fixx up the Bronco. Best place to start is to write down or sketch all of the areas that are rusted, even if it's the whole body. If you can find a diagram on the web of the frame or chassis, it may show you the cross members and floor supports. They are braces mounted to the frame to hold things on, like the body, motor, transfer case and such. Those should be cut out and new ones welded in, but some can be bolted.

The pros at a body shop will often remove the entire body from e the frame to gain better access to repairs. THat's what is refered to as a"frame-off restoration". That may or may not be feasible in your case, as it normally takes alot longer than 2-3 months. For now, you can patch a few holes and get some help finding parts.

Last edited by a moderator:

FLYFSHIN

Reaction score
83 Bronco, where are you from in Michigan? I live in the UP, I know what you mean about Michigan winters. They are **** on a vehical.

OP
OP

83Bronco

Reaction score
Fly fisher, i live in Ann Arbor (GO BLUE!) . I have 2 months left in school. And many of the boys know how to weld, so does my teacher. i will probably let them do that. I think ill pull up the carpet and make a sketch as you suggested. should i rip off the rusty peices? like the flaps of rust? or do i just leave those on and weld over them? I jhave so much work to do. IT would be fantastic if i could open the tailgate! I will let you know if i need any parts that i cant get a hold of easily! thanks so much for your help. It is appreciated. belive me!

~Sarah

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23