rubber seal leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stumped

Reaction score
There is a round rubber seal on the bottom of transmission for my 96 bronco that leaks a little. Can this seal be replaced and do you have to drain transmission fluid to do it? If you can replace it, how do you do it and what is it called?

Thanks,
TerryP1010817.JPG

johnnyreb

Reaction score
There is a round rubber seal on the bottom of transmission for my 96 bronco that leaks a little. Can this seal be replaced and do you have to drain transmission fluid to do it? If you can replace it, how do you do it and what is it called?

Thanks,
TerryView attachment 29797
I,d clean it and around it really good and keep a check on the fluid. Then I,d try to find one made by ford(Try Green Sales--Jeff,s Bronco,etc--I,d get an Americam made one) After I got it and compared them.To make sure it is the right one. Then I,d get a filter and gasket set , Get the correct fluid and the correct amount of fluid. A big wide pan. Then take all the bolts out but 2--close to one another, Peck the pan loose carefull. Then loosen one bolt a couple of threads, Then start taking the other one out a little at a time, You ee the fluid start out and be careful the oil don,t go all over the place. You Tube might have a video about it,. Get some rags---its a messy job. Then after you have the an off. Check what is in the bottom for metal chips and dirt. If their id no chips--clean every hing and put the plug in the pan with a little oil--to make it easier to put the plug in. After you have it all back together.Start it up and watch for leaks and go back over the bolts and snug them up. Good luck.-----------------You might not want to change the fluid or filter. Most people do after they drop the pan. Its up to you.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait, that is in the bellhousing. That is not meant to keep fluid in.

what color is the fluid? Black oil? or red?

Something is leaking into the bellhousing and just dripping out there.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Wait, that is in the bellhousing. That is not meant to keep fluid in.

what color is the fluid? Black oil? or red?

Something is leaking into the bellhousing and just dripping out there.
Well the picture is to close--to tell what it is. Back off at a little distance to see more

OP
OP
S

stumped

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.. it is oil and not tranny fluid.. its black .. and not a lot .. just shows up on the ground after a while..

Attachments

• P1010819.JPG
    P1010819.JPG
    280 KB · Views: 4

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a couple places on the back of the block that can leak but there is an off chance it could be the back of the intake or a valve cover gasket leaking and running into there so check those first.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
There is a couple places on the back of the block that can leak but there is an off chance it could be the back of the intake or a valve cover gasket leaking and running into there so check those first.
It could be a rear main seal as well. (Hopefully not)
Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo