Rear Window Probs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hogg

Reaction score
I have a problem with the rear window on my 84' Bronc. When I bought the truck a little over a year ago the rear window didn't work and hasn't since. Now that I have a little extra time I want to fix it. The problem is that I can't get the window down so that I can let the tailgate down to work on both. Is there a way to do this?

HOGG :)>-

Streetgang44

Reaction score
If you can take a shop 12V batt into the back with you.....open the access panel, and use some probes, or alligator clips (in the connector for the window motor) and connect the battery to the window motor directly to see if you can get it to go down that way.....if it dont work the first time, just switch the wires......it should go down.

If it dont go down and you DO NOT hear the motor running, the motor itself could be shot......in any case get back here to the forum and let us know what happened after you put 12 volts directly to the window motor.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Good sugggestion from Streetgang44. If that works, you have a connector problem. Corrosion usually does the old connectors in. I have had the wires pulll right out of a connector on mine due to corrosion. infact I had the same problem you do and it turned out to be the ground wire for the motor in the connector on the left side of the rear cross member. Another place that has a connector that corrodes on the 84 is behind the left tail light.

Good luck, :)>-

Streetgang44

Reaction score
You can also look for a pinched/broken/exposed wire in the harness where the TG closes on the left side. The repeated opening and closing of the TG causes the insulation to fail, and then its just a matter of time until one of the wires itself fails in some way.

Another likely suspect is the safety switch that prevents you from opening the TG with the glass up, or closing the glass with the TG down. This is VERY easily bypassed by just jumping out the switch at the connector.

But like I said.....FIRST get in there and see if your motor will work.

Windchaser

Reaction score
I too had this problem and still do...that was the only way that I could get my window down. I did break my rear window which cost me 290.00 because you have to buy new-in Kansas the law says that junkyards have to smash all windows in cars and trucks they receive. So you cannot buy them used from them. Jackasses. I hate Kansas. [-(

cowboydan

Reaction score
i had the same thing. i replace the wires in the tg, but it only went down, not up. i figured it was the dash switch, but i had no luck finding one at the wrecker, so i bought a new one from ford. now it works, even after repeated submergings

Seabronc

Reaction score
Here is diagram of the circuit from the 83 EVTM. Maybe it will help you troubleshoot.

Good luck, :)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23