rear window and headlight help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skrap420

Reaction score
i got a 91 silver aniversary edition and i got a bunch of work to do on it but right now im stuck with three main issues

1. the rear window is stuck up and i dont know what it could be. i have power from the switch but no power ending at the motor and i cant get the glass down to allow the tailgate to fall. does anyone know if there are any fuse links between the two points and if there are any relays.

2. headlights are not operational. i have power to the rear lights and turn signals and marker lights etc. so i know the switch is working yet there is no power at the ligtbulb once again are there any relays or fuse links.

3.and last thing where is the best place to find parts both original and aftermarket for a 91 (spare tire rack, lift kits etc)

thanks guys im trying to get the weekend warrior fixed up and ready to play before the girlfriend makes me get rid of her.

Seabronc

Reaction score
i got a 91 silver aniversary edition and i got a bunch of work to do on it but right now im stuck with three main issues1. the rear window is stuck up and i dont know what it could be. i have power from the switch but no power ending at the motor and i cant get the glass down to allow the tailgate to fall. does anyone know if there are any fuse links between the two points and if there are any relays.

2. headlights are not operational. i have power to the rear lights and turn signals and marker lights etc. so i know the switch is working yet there is no power at the ligtbulb once again are there any relays or fuse links.

3.and last thing where is the best place to find parts both original and aftermarket for a 91 (spare tire rack, lift kits etc)

thanks guys im trying to get the weekend warrior fixed up and ready to play before the girlfriend makes me get rid of her.
1. I'm assuming that the window doesn't operate from either the driver switch or the tailgate switch. It is probably the safety switch located in the left tailgate latch. Try pushing in on the left side of the tail gate while turning the tailgate key. If that doesn't work, you can remove the access panel and find the red and yellow wires at the bottom of the gate going to the motor. You can then use jumper leads and a 12V battery to attach to the leads, on way makes it go up and reversing the leads reverses the direction of the motor. If it doesn't operate then, the motor is bad or if you hear it running it needs new gears. If it does operate then the problem could be the latch switch. open the gate and raise the window, be careful since the glass will not be supported, (you can put something under the edge of the window to give it a little extra support. Then reach in and disconnect the latch switch connector and jumper it and try the key, be careful to keep the wire behind the window track.

Grounding for the motor goes all the way back through the driver switch which have been known to fail .

2. You checked fuses, right? Could be the dimmer switch. power goes through it to the head lights.

3. try our sponsor http://www.broncograveyard or http://www.LMCtruck.com

Good luck,

:)>-

92_Tailgate.jpg

OP
OP
S

skrap420

Reaction score
1. I'm assuming that the window doesn't operate from either the driver switch or the tailgate switch. It is probably the safety switch located in the left tailgate latch. Try pushing in on the left side of the tail gate while turning the tailgate key. If that doesn't work, you can remove the access panel and find the red and yellow wires at the bottom of the gate going to the motor. You can then use jumper leads and a 12V battery to attach to the leads, on way makes it go up and reversing the leads reverses the direction of the motor. If it doesn't operate then, the motor is bad or if you hear it running it needs new gears. If it does operate then the problem could be the latch switch. open the gate and raise the window, be careful since the glass will not be supported, (you can put something under the edge of the window to give it a little extra support. Then reach in and disconnect the latch switch connector and jumper it and try the key, be careful to keep the wire behind the window track.
Grounding for the motor goes all the way back through the driver switch which have been known to fail .

2. You checked fuses, right? Could be the dimmer switch. power goes through it to the head lights.

3. try our sponsor http://www.broncograveyard or http://www.LMCtruck.com

Good luck,

thanks man i tried pushing the switch on the inside of the tailgate but havent tried the other things. and when u say the dimmer switch u do mean the one in the floor board right nd how do i check it? and where did that picture come from because that is alot easier to read than the book that i have.

Seabronc

Reaction score
thanks man i tried pushing the switch on the inside of the tailgate but havent tried the other things. and when u say the dimmer switch u do mean the one in the floor board right nd how do i check it? and where did that picture come from because that is alot easier to read than the book that i have.
Right, the floor switch. Pull the connector off and see if you have 12V to it when you turn on the head lights. It switches 12V between high and low beam.

The diagram comes from the Ford EVTM (Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual). There is one for each year. You usually can find them on eBay. As far as I'm concerned it is the single most valuable book you can invest in for working on problems with a vehicle.

I checked eBay and there is only one 1991 for sale right now. The cover is a little dirty, but you can ask them what the inside page condition is. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-Ford-B...lsQ5fLiterature

Good luck,

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gryph