Radiator Fluid Is Going Going Gone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncofighter

Reaction score
Radiator fluid is going somewhere? Doesn't seem to leak. Read somewhere it might be a heater hose? When the heater is on full blast, it drains it out more? But I am not sure? Anyone who can help would be helpful. Others said it might be a blown head gasket? 88 Ford Bronco with 173,000 on it. smells like anti freeze through after driving it. No white cloud of smoke after driving it awhile.

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
Could have a small leak and is squirting on the engine and burning off so you cant see the leak. cheak the oil if is discolored or odd looking that would help cheaking if the gasket has gone out.

Seabronc

Reaction score
I am picking up on the statement you made in the last sentence. "No white cloud after driving a while", so I'm assuming you do get a white cloud when it is cold. If that is the case, it sounds like you have a crack in the head gasket from the water jacket to the cylinder head. If it is a small one, it may be sealing up after the head is getting hot. It could also be that your head bolts are not properly torqued. I'd check the torque on the bolts first before taking them off. The torqure for a 302 should be 65 - 72 ft.lb. Tighten them starting from the center set and working out to each end.

9 5 1 3 7

10 6 2 4 8

If tat doesn't fix the problem you probably need to replace the gasket. If you have to do that, I'd also make sure the heads are not warped. If you remove the heads then the torquing should be done in two steps. First to 55-65 ft. lb. then a second pass for 65 - 75 ft. lb.

God luck,

:)>-

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gryph