Radiator core support

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YJ351LC

Reaction score
While troubleshooting the misalignment on my driver door, I found that the radiator core support that was recently replaced during paint/body work was misaligned (fully shifted to the driver side and gapped 1/2-3/4 inch from passenger side). This prevents me from adjusting the fenders, as they are pushed against stops on the support and causes everything to be misaligned and crazy looking gaps.

Can the radiator core support be adjust by oosening the bolts that hold it to the frame/body or do I need to take it all apart and realign?

I do NOT want to take it back to the shop that did the work. If they were gonna do it right they would have done so the first time around.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
The radiator support can be loosened and slide wherever needed, shimmed up or down as needed.

But how does your hood line up right now? That will have to be moved as well if you slide the core support.

You are probably going to have to take both fenders loose or off, center the support and start over from scratch, leaving your hood for last.

OP
OP
Y

YJ351LC

Reaction score
It is all a mess from the driver door to the hood and the fenders.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I have replaced core supports that were out of spec. It isn't fun.

I think we took fenders loose, but left them on. Moved the core support side to side, shimmed it up to clear the engine fan. set our door gaps and then tightened it down back of the fender to try and hold the door gap.

next you are adjusting the hood Get it to close without hitting the fenders then move the top of the fender in as needed to straighten the lines.

it sucks because it sounds like you are working with new paint. Hate to scratch it.

OP
OP
Y

YJ351LC

Reaction score
Update:
I spoke to the shop and they are going to fix the alignment of the front end for me. After having been burned by other shops in the past I was reluctant to go this route but, was amazed at their level of concern and willingness to fix it. Nice to see a company that takes ownership and pride in their craft!

They are actually sending a tow truck to get my Bronco so I don't have to worry about arranging a ride home. Impressive!

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
That is great news. Sounds like they are trying anyway.

OP
OP
Y

YJ351LC

Reaction score
Well, they lined up the hood and huge gaps in fenders/doors, etc. Guess I gotta do it myself.

lynchsg

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Tiha said it all. Loosing everything and shimming as needed on core support and door hinges as well as possible fender locations. Was the front end hit?
Worst case scenario: Could be issues with the inner fenders and fire wall. Hopefully no frame issues.

OP
OP
Y

YJ351LC

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Tiha said it all. Loosing everything and shimming as needed on core support and door hinges as well as possible fender locations. Was the front end hit?
Worst case scenario: Could be issues with the inner fenders and fire wall. Hopefully no frame issues.
I have owned it for 25 years, never been hit. It was good up until they replaced the core support. You can see the 'witness marks' on the components were it is misaligned.

I guess if you want it done right you have to do it yourself. This oughta be fun!

chrlsful

Reaction score
trick? go to the v e r y begining & start there, fresh correct, so each subsequent 'layer' is correct. Build 'up' from there/perfict. Doors last, hood after. Loose all the way till last step, go back to lock down. Tack welds along w/fasteners is a trick we use. We must cut, bend, change panels as we go too. LOTS of 'mock-ups' early. No thing is ever correct from the supplier (but some is better than other co's). Like machinest very futzy, close tolerances, most wrk in the prep (like house painting, laying dwn the paint is the least of it). No fun for me, mechanics way superior~

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK