Power valve sizing for 351W ** 4V 4180C

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
For those who have this engine/carburetor, what power valve have you installed?

I've just discovered that the power valve I installed is a 45, which is what you get in the holley 3-1346 rebuild kit. I never did measure the vacuum at idle, in drive to get vacuum in inches and divide by two. I'll do that tomorrow to see what it is now, but just wanted to see what others are running. I haven't run the truck in a few years since I sold my home and bought a nice Hyundai Santa Fe. That was December 2018 when I parked it with a half tank of gas. Then, I built a new house off grid on a mountain side here in Maine overlooking the Penobscot river (by myself). Now I have time on my hands and need to get my baby back to *****.

I finally started the Bronco in April to drive it a half mile up my driveway to the mountain house and it started and idled fine, but once I started driving, I had to pump it to keep it running going up hill. I barely got it up there. I bought new vacuum caps, trees, and connectors and many found cracked and broken ones. The vacuum caps dry out so quickly and deteriorate that they have to be checked frequently.

Because the gas may have gone bad, I'm going to drain and clean the tank, and rebuild the carb (holley 3-1346) just in case there's crud from the gas. I cut an access hole over the fuel sending unit in the bed of the Bronco when I rebuilt the body frame. I'm cleaning the lines, new fuel filter, cleaning the carb with Berryman.

Once this work is done, I'll see what size power valve I need. I'll report my findings.

David

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
I did some research off of bull nose bible and determined that the original 2-stage Economizer Assembly aka Power Valve is part number D5PZ-9A565-A or Motorcraft CE120. This is for carburetor numbers 4180C E5TE-9510-ABA, and E4TE-9510-ARA which I have both (LIST-50174) for my 1984 Bronco XLT 5.8L ** 4V Calibration code 4-64G-02. The Walker rebuild kit 15893D (C) for this specification is available on Rockauto today for $49.79. There is also an eBay link https://www.ebay.com/itm/253566013895. This seller has 9 Power valves left that are from 15893 kits for $14.75 + $4.95 shipping. The ratings are 7-9.5 in/hg 1st stage, 0.5-3 in/hg 2nd stage. This eBay seller also has the correct rebuild kit with original 2 stage PV. https://www.ebay.com/itm/264723897570

I hope this helps others...

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom